Apple Cranberry Pie Bars are thick, delicious pie bars with a flakey, buttery crust filled with a tangy apple, cranberry, Greek yogurt filling. They’re a great addition to any holiday dessert tray!
First things first, I want to wish my older son a happy 12th birthday! 🙂 I can’t believe he’s getting so grown up on me and that I’m going to have a teenager next year. (wince!) Whenever I look at photos of the early years, I miss how small and adorable he was. I feel so blessed that I got to stay home and raise him and his brother, especially those early years, as hard as they were. When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he answered “Whatever you want to get me.” He’s very easy going and not wrapped up in materialistic things. We’ll find something for him, and as long as he gets a yummy dinner and dessert, he’ll be happy. 🙂
I asked my son what he wanted for dessert, and normally he picks chocolate, or says…”whatever you want to make me”…because he has trouble deciding. That works out well, because I always have something on my mind that I want to create, and he gives me plenty of room to unleash my creativity. 😉 This time, he did say he’d love something apple. I’m always thinking birthday cake, but people in my house (besides me, of course), don’t think they have to have birthday cake. Pie is big in this house.
I love making pie, but I wanted something a little different. I remembered the delicious Blueberry Peach Pie Bars I made over the summer, and went to a flavor combination that I’ve been craving relentlessly for the past month or so — apples and cranberries. These pie bars are the perfect balance of tart and sweet, with some spicy cinnamon and a bit of a Greek yogurt tang amidst all that buttery, flakey crust.
Being that these apple cranberry pie bars have lots of fruit in them, as well as a little Greek yogurt, I thought it was ok to have one for breakfast. It was, right? I thought you’d agree. 🙂
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, halved (or coarsely chopped)
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup Greek vanilla yogurt (I used Chobani 2%)
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 2 cups apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ¼" chunks
- Place the fresh cranberries and ½ cup granulated sugar in a bowl and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9" baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, and grease it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Pulse the flour, ½ cup brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor until combined. Add the cubes of butter and pulse until the mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs. Reserve ¾ cup of the dough mixture for the topping, and press the remainder into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the ¼ cup brown sugar until well combined. Stir in the Greek yogurt, flour, salt, and cinnamon until incorporated. Stir in the cranberries and apples. Pour the filling evenly over the cooled crust, then sprinkle the remaining ¾ cup of pie crust over the fruit mixture. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the pie bars are set. Cool for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy as is or with fresh whipped cream!