Broccoli Slaw Salad is double the broccoli with broccoli slaw and fresh broccoli florets mixed with bacon, red onion, dried cranberries, and toasted almonds in a creamy, white balsamic coleslaw dressing. This salad is savory, sweet, and smoky, which will keep ’em coming back for more!
The first time I had broccoli salad was years ago at a friend’s house. It was a Costco bagged salad, complete with broccoli florets, bacon, raisins, walnuts, and a creamy dressing. I loved it, and went home and recreated my own. Over the years, I’ve grown very fond of Broccoli Slaw, so I decided to incorporate the slaw and florets in one salad. Now you get double the dose of broccoli, so I hope you like it.
Bacon has a way of making people more interested in veggies, and it lends a smoky, saltiness that counterbalances all the fresh veggies, chewy cranberries, and toasted almonds. Throw bacon into a salad, and it just works it’s magic.
It wouldn’t be a broccoli salad without this creamy slaw-like dressing. I use Veganaise because I love it’s creaminess and flavor, and it’s health benefits don’t hurt, either. I’ve never been a big fan of mayo, so I tried Veganaise. I fell for it instantly, and I haven’t bought mayo since.
I highly recommend this salad next time you barbecue or entertain. I hadn’t made it in a while, and it was like a breath of fresh air. It’s different, it’s flavorful, and it’s good for you. I think it’ll keep you going back for more, too. 😉
- 6 ounces broccoli slaw
- 1½ cups fresh broccoli florets, cut small
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup red onion, coarsely chopped
- toasted, slivered almonds, for serving
- ½ cup Veganaise or low fat mayo
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic or apple cider vinegar (I used white balsamic)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon blue agave sweetener or honey (I used agave)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the broccoli slaw, florets, bacon, dried cranberries, and red onion in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Veganaise, vinegar, canola oil, and agave sweetener. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss well to coat. Serve the salad with the toasted slivered almonds. Enjoy!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.