I’m at it with the donuts again. It wasn’t long ago that I made my Strawberry Covered Baked Chocolate Donuts, but I’ve been completely ready to try a different flavor. These Coconut-Lime Baked Donuts have a muffin-like texture, which makes them moister than a lot of baked donuts. They’ve got double the coconut, with coconut milk AND shredded coconut. They’re also nice and zesty with lime zest in the donut and lime juice and zest in the glaze. If you’re a fan of the coconut-lime flavor combination, you’ll just love these. 🙂
If you follow my blog at all, you know I’m crazy about coconut. I’m always up for baking with coconut milk as well, as it adds a subtle coconut flavor and a nice moistness. Win-win! 😀 I only use light coconut milk, however, as the full fat version has a high amount of saturated fat. Coconut in general has a high amount of saturated fat, but I simply use smaller quantities as a little goes a long way!
The lime juice in the glaze is SO refreshing. A burst of citrus flavor is always welcome, where I’m concerned! 😉 Lime zest in the donut batter, glaze, and the shredded coconut gives the eater a nice visual of the flavor to come! Lime juice in the glaze gives it that wonderful pop of freshness. 🙂
These Coconut-Lime Baked Donuts are festive. I just love the bright white color with the little flecks of bright green lime zest. They’re sophisticated, yet fun, and perfect for anyone that loves coconut!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons light coconut milk
- zest of 1 lime, divided
- ¾ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray the cavities of (2) 6-cavity donut pans.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and lime zest in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat just until incorporated. Stir in the finely shredded coconut.
- Stir the vanilla into the ½ cup of coconut milk and set aside. Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add to the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the coconut milk, beating after each addition just until blended. Fill the donut cavities ⅔ full of batter and bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes, then remove and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, lime juice, half of the reserved lime zest, and coconut milk until smooth. Place the sweetened shredded coconut and remaining lime zest on a plate and toss to combine. Dip the cooled donuts in the glaze, then immediately into the shredded coconut. Place on a cooling rack over baking sheet at room temperature until set. Store donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Confidante