I really enjoyed the Super Bowl this year! It was the kind of game you just couldn’t turn off early, despite the fact that it went so late because of the power outage (which was such bad timing, no?). The Ravens seemed to have lost momentum once the game resumed, and the 49ers were on their way to another comeback victory. I may live in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I’m no 49er fan. I’m a fan of that other team across the Bay that lose more games than they win, but that’s another story. I did feel for the 49ers tonight — they played their hearts out, and just fell short. Cheers to a great game.
I saw Wicked yesterday, and it was phenomenal! I highly recommend it. I’ve clearly been resting on my laurels too much this weekend, watching a performance yesterday, and the Super Bowl today. Needless to say, I didn’t get to too much cooking. I actually bought some smoked, pulled pork for Super Bowl to make some yummy sandwiches, and made some barbecue sauce to accompany it. You can’t have pulled pork sandwiches without coleslaw, so that was the only other thing I made today. See, I wasn’t a complete slacker. 😉
My Curried Cabbage Coleslaw is one of my favorite vegetable dishes. You just can’t beat the crunch of cabbage — both green and red — along with celery, grated carrot, scallions, and chewy, sweet golden raisins. It’s so wildly colorful, too. The dressing has a nice little curry powder flair that just works so well in this coleslaw. Believe it or not, this recipe was inspired by a coleslaw that was served 3 years ago in my son’s first grade class for his St. Patrick’s Day party. It wasn’t too popular with the first graders, but it was with all of the adults! While I didn’t get the recipe, I found out there was curry powder in the dressing. I went home and whipped up my own version to go with my corned beef, cooked cabbage, and Irish soda bread. It’s become a tradition. This coleslaw isn’t just for St. Patrick’s Day, of course. It’s too good to only have once a year. 🙂
- 6 ounces shredded green cabbage (I used Fresh Express angel hair)
- 3 ounces shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium stalk celery, thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ⅓ cup reduced fat Vegenaise or low fat mayo
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- Place the green cabbage, red cabbage, celery, scallions, carrot, and golden raisins in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the Vegenaise, canola oil, vinegar, honey, curry powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk together until well combined. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and stir until the dressing coats all of the veggies. Enjoy!