Easy French Style Egg Salad is traditional egg salad livened up with french whole grain dijon, chopped cornichons, and fresh chives. It’s fancy without being fussy!
I’ve got a fanci-fied French egg salad for you today! We all need nice lunch options, especially in the summer when the weather is gorgeous and we want to pack a nice picnic lunch and eat outdoors. And since the French really know how to picnic, our egg salad is French-style. 🙂
French Bastille Day is July 14, so you know there will be lots of picnic-ing going on. I find French picnics to be some of the best, with quality food that looks and sounds fancy, but it’s very unfussy. Meats, spreads, and cheeses with baguettes and crackers are a must, as well as cornichons, a selection of fresh fruit and veggies, and let’s not forget the wine.
I was lucky enough to receive the beautiful Maille prize package below to create my own picnic-inspired recipe, and you can win one, too using the rafflecopter at the bottom of this post. It’s complete with a variety of mustards, cornichons, an apron, oven mitt, and tasting spoons. Thank you, Maille!
I’ve always been a huge fan of mustard, and the bolder the better. Maille products have always been a favorite of mine, and there are so many varieties including honey dijon, horseradish, and rich country dijon. The options are endless!
Cornichons are tiny cucumbers or gherkins that pack a nice, flavorful punch. They’re a picnic staple and are used alongside a sandwich, on top of a sandwich, or in any number of spreads including tuna, salmon, and this egg salad. I love the tart bite they lend in this creamy salad. 🙂
This egg salad was perfect on whole grain bread with some crisp, romaine lettuce, but it would also be great on slider buns, or hearty crackers.
Or you can just eat it with a spoon, too. 🙂
And now it’s time to enter to win your very own Maille prize package! Just leave a comment below explaining what you would create with your Maille gift, and enter using the rafflecopter below. Good luck!
Entrants must be residents of the United States only and must be 18 years or older. Giveaway runs from July 12, 2015 at 12AM PST until July 19, 2015 at 12AM PST.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayo*
- 2 teaspoons whole grain dijon mustard (such as Maille)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cornichons (such as Maille)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the eggs in a small sauce pan and fill with enough water to cover them by 1". Cover and bring to a rolling boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and keep covered for 12 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the sauce pan with a slotted spoon and place in a colander. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and until they're cool enough to handle. Peel, then roughly chop and place in a medium bowl.
- Place the mayo and mustard in the bowl with the eggs and stir gently until combined. Fold in the cornichons, chives, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve on whole grain bread, slider buns, or crackers. Enjoy!
This recipe is easily doubled or tripled if feeding a crowd.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.