Fig and Arugula Flatbread Pizza is fresh figs, arugula, and mozzarella cheese atop a flatbread crust. Top it with balsamic glaze fresh out of the oven, and this is one satisfying, flavorful meal that’s ready in 10 minutes!
Have you ever eaten a fresh fig?? Up until 5 years ago, I’d never had one. My grandmother got me hooked on them right before she passed away. She bought some at the store and offered me some. I was skeptical…I’d never had fig outside of a Fig Newton. They were large and soft, and they just looked plain strange to me. I tried one and it was a very unique experience. I wasn’t sure about it at first, but once I got started eating them, I couldn’t stop. Thanks to my Granny for introducing me to these little gems. I think about her every time I eat them, and I wish she were here to share them with me. 🙂
Last year I made my Roasted Fig and Arugula Salad, and it was utterly delicious! Please ignore the not-so-terrific photo. Syrupy figs with that spicy arugula are an absolute match made in heaven. On my recent trip to Boston, I experienced a flatbread pizza at Russell Tavern in Cambridge that was to die for. Of course it was fig and arugula, but it also had sweet garlic. I couldn’t wait to get home and recreate it. My version is fresh figs instead of dried, and of course, I drizzled balsamic glaze over the top. Balsamic glaze makes everything just that….over the top! I adore it.
I didn’t make my own flatbread, but really, who has time for that on any given day? One day I’d like to set aside time to make my own, but this time I used store bought. I wanted to include roasted garlic and prosciutto, but had no time to get to the store. This flatbread didn’t suffer for it — it was delicious in every way. It takes minutes to assemble the flatbreads and 10 minutes to bake. Now that’s a quick, delicious meal that nobody is going to complain about!
- (1) package of store bought flatbread (I used Smart & Delicious brand)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Black Mission figs, stems removed and sliced width-wise (1-2 figs per flatbread)
- Fresh arugula
- Balsamic glaze, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the flatbread(s) on a baking sheet. Lightly brush the olive oil on each of the flatbreads. Sprinkle about ¼ cup of the grated mozzarella on each flatbread. Place the desired amount of arugula over the mozzarella, and sprinkle with about ¼ cup more of cheese. Place the sliced fig over the second layer of cheese. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Drizzle with the balsamic glaze, slice, and serve!
Add roasted garlic and prosciutto for a savory twist!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.