Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte is made with brown sugar simple syrup and real pumpkin — there are no ingredients you can’t pronounce and you control the sweetness. You don’t have to spend $5 on PSL’s any longer — this homemade version can be made for less than $1 and it’s as delicious as ever!
I’m so glad it’s Sunday! Sundays are all about football, food, and Ray Donovan. You have watched Ray Donovan on Showtime, haven’t you? Season 2 is coming to a close and I have no idea what I’ll do on Sunday nights without it. Homeland is no substitute, but I’ll give it a try. 🙂 Let’s not forget that Sundays are about relaxation, and this Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte is just the thing to help you in that department.
Are you a PSL fan? I know most people are. I used to love all the sweet holiday inspired coffee drinks, but I’ve become quite the bore over the years. I’m a coffee snob, and drink coffee for sheer coffee flavor with no sweeteners EVER. In the morning I drink my favorite espresso from Peet’s coffee, and I’ll either make a latte myself with 2 shots of said espresso and some non fat milk, or buy one. With cinnamon powder on top, of course. Gotta have that. 🙂
I’m not sure what came over me when I decided to make my own PSL at home. I guess I wondered if homemade would taste better, and that was silly, because I already know homemade always tastes better. Especially when you control the ingredients, the sweetness, and it costs much less to make your own.
I made brown sugar simple syrup some time ago for the Greek yogurt dip for my Grilled Stone Fruit Skewers a few months ago, and I knew that would be perfect in this latte. The warm flavor of brown sugar with the pumpkin, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice are just purr-fect. Mix in some rich, full-bodied espresso, non fat milk, and you’ve got a fabulous drink already. I topped this with some whipped cream and more pumpkin pie spice, because that’s what PSL’s are all about, isn’t it? You could always opt to froth up a bit more milk instead of the whip. I was going all out this time. 🙂
Next time you want a Pumpkin Spice Latte and you don’t want to fork out five smackaroos, you gotta make your own. It’s so easy, so inexpensive, and oh so good. 🙂
Can’t get enough pumpkin pie spice in your life? Try some of these as well:
Pumpkin Spice Cake by Gimme Some Oven
Pumpkin Spice Granola by Pumpkin ‘n Spice
Pumpkin Spice Energy Bites by Oh My Veggies!
The Best Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls by Averie Cooks
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed (I used light)
- ½ cup water
- 1-2 shots brewed espresso*
- ½ cup milk (I used skim)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar simple syrup*
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice, for garnish*
- Place the brown sugar and water in a small sauce pan and cook over medium low heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Once the sugar dissolves, allow to cook about 5 more minutes to thicken slightly. Remove from heat and allow to cool. You can make this in advance and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
- Pour the brewed espresso in your mug. Place the milk, simple syrup, pumpkin, and spices in a small sauce pan and heat over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. When the mixture is warm, pour it into the espresso and stir to combine. Garnish the latte with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice, if desired, and enjoy immediately!
*If you like your coffee stronger, use 2 shots of espresso. You can also substitute the espresso with your favorite coffee.
*You can use plain brown sugar or your favorite sweetener in place of the simple syrup.
*Instead of whipped cream, you can froth up some extra milk for a low fat version.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.