It’s gone from raining to 90+ degrees this week. I didn’t really mind the rain as we need it, I just had to round up some indoor activities for the kids. As I’ve gotten older, however, the heat really gets to me. I’m like a wilting flower if it’s above low 80’s. I took my kids to the pool, and I was literally melting. By the time we got home, I was overheated and grumpy. 😡 I knew I needed a cold, pick-me-up fast. This Mocha Banana Smoothie did the trick! It’s a cool and frosty way to refresh, while getting your coffee fix at the same time. Did I mention it’s guilt-free? It is. This is smoothie you’ve been waiting for! 😉
I have a Keurig coffee maker and my K-cup to whip up espresso coffee every day. I love to use Peet’s Espresso Forte, so I buy it ground, fill up my little K-cup basket, and brew it. Espresso is my coffee of choice whether it’s in a latte or straight out of a cup with a little half ‘n half. For this Mocha Banana Smoothie, however, I filled up my k-cup halfway with espresso, then I added a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder on top of it. I brewed it as one shot of espresso, and I got a nice, chocolatey shot. 🙂
If you don’t have a Keurig coffee maker, you can use instant espresso, cocoa powder, and boiling water for the same results, or just use about 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite coffee with the cocoa powder stirred in until smooth. Where there’s a will, there’s a way to get your favorite coffee in this smoothie!
I think bananas need to be present in every smoothie. They thicken the smoothie up beautifully, and the flavor is unbeatable in my book. I’ve always got ripe bananas in the freezer for banana bread, muffins, or smoothies, so I grabbed one out of the freezer, sliced into about 1/2″ slices, and popped ’em in the blender with my ingredients. Honestly, I’d never had coffee with bananas before, and it was delicious.
I’m now hooked on this, and will be drinking this during the summer when I normally would’ve had my latte. This smoothie is delicious, nutritious, and provides that much needed energy boost when the heat bogs you down. Maybe the heat doesn’t wilt you like a flower like it does me, but you’d still enjoy this. It’s a nice alternative to those pricey iced coffee drinks and it’s guilt-free, unlike a milkshake or calorie-loaded smoothie. You just can’t beat that. 🙂
- Ground espresso (enough for 1 shot), or 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 frozen banana, sliced into ½ " chunks
- ½ cup ice
- ½ cup milk, almond milk, or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- For Keurig coffee makers, fill your "my K-cup" halfway full of espresso. Place the teaspoon of cocoa powder on top of that, and brew enough for a single shot. If you don't have a Keurig, mix 1 teaspoon of instant espresso with the cocoa powder, and add ¼ cup of boiling water. Stir until dissolved.
- Place the banana, ice, milk, and brown sugar in the blender. Add the coffee mixture and blend until combined. Enjoy immediately for best results. This recipe can easily be doubled.
Recipe adapted from Ellie Krieger's Mocha Java Smoothie.