Put that zucchini to use in an extra delicious way! Oatmeal Zucchini Snack Bars are moist, hearty, and mildly sweet, with coconut and mini chocolate chips to make them even more tasty. These are perfect for snacking, lunch boxes, or breakfast, and they’re even gluten-free!
My kids are back in school, and I’m really trying hard to find things to pack in lunch boxes or have for them to snack on after school that are healthy and aren’t out of a bag. Of course I do give them packaged snacks, but I don’t want everything they put in their mouths to be processed food. I laid eyes on these bars yesterday on the blog A Sweet Baker, and I wanted to make them on the spot. I didn’t make them that quickly, but I did make them yesterday evening. Bars full of oatmeal always get me, but when zucchini, chocolate chips, and lots of other goodness are added, I just can’t resist.
These bars are a like a soft, chewy granola bar. The oats make them deliciously nutty in flavor, and the zucchini and applesauce helps keep them nice and moist. There’s no flour in these whatsoever, so if you use gluten-free oats, then you’ve got yourself a nice, gluten-free snack!
The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of honey, and I only had a 1/4 cup. I have no idea how I let myself run low on honey, but I did. I substituted 1/4 cup of maple syrup for the honey, and they came out great. I’m never one to turn down the flavor of maple syrup, anyway!
I chose to add in finely shredded coconut and mini chocolate chips, but you can use nuts, cinnamon chips, white chocolate chips, or whatever is calling your name. I loved the coconut flavor in here because I am absolutely nuts for coconut. Whatever you decide to add in, these bars are a snack that you’ll feel good about, and will appeal to the pickiest of eaters!
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats or gluten-free oats
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup low fat milk
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi sweet mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13" baking dish with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Place the oats, zucchini, cinnamon, and sea salt in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, canola oil, milk, honey, maple syrup, applesauce, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until moistened. Stir in the coconut and chocolate chips until combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan and press down evenly with the back of a spoon. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- When the bars have cooled, remove the bars from the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into squares and store in an air tight container.
The applesauce may be substituted for mashed banana.
Recipe adapted from Oatmeal Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bars from A Sweet Baker.