One Pot 30-Minute Pasta e Fagioli is a hearty one pot pasta dish with pancetta, beans, kale, and plenty of parmesan. It requires minimal prep and will become a family favorite!
I’m going to make this quick and to the point today, because I’ve got a lousy head cold. You know the kind where your head hurts so bad that you just want to lay around and sleep all day? That’s what I’ve got. It’s really going around and I guess there was no more avoiding it!
So the good news is that it’s 30 Minute Thursday! Not only do you get this One Pot 30-Minute Pasta e Fagioli, but you get some amazing 30-minute meals from some of my blogger friends. You can check them out toward the bottom of this post.
Pasta e Fagioli is typically a soup with pasta and beans, so this meal is a different take on that. Most of the soup recipes that I’ve seen are made with ground meat, but the inspiration for this particular recipe came from the back of a bag of Bob’s Red Mill dried cranberry beans. It’s a one pot meal with pancetta, dried beans, and pasta, but it takes considerably longer to cook because of the dried beans.
While I love using dried beans in recipes, I know most of you would much rather have a recipe that you can make quicker than 45 minutes to an hour. I know this because the feedback I received from my 2017 Reader Survey was that most of you are looking for more one pot, 30-minute meals. And you want them to be hearty!
This One Pot 30-Minute Pasta e Fagioli is the answer to all of that.
This meal is great because you can customize this by using your favorite pasta, subbing the pancetta with ground meat or bacon, and using your favorite type of beans. I chose kidney beans for color, and the flavor was also great with the red pepper flakes and pancetta.
I added an entire bunch of kale because it’s growing like a weed in my garden, and I love the color and texture that it adds to this dish. It makes it even heartier, and provides a nice boost of nutrition.
This One Pot 30-Minute Pasta e Fagioli is deliciously creamy, and is perfect with a good dousing of freshly grated parmesan.
Don’t forget to click the links below and check out the other delicious 30-minute meals from my blogger friends!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 ounces uncooked pancetta or bacon, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes (use less to reduce the spiciness)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces dry orecchiette pasta (or your favorite)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- (1) 14 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch kale, torn, or about 3 cups
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and pancetta and saute for 5 minutes or until the onion has softened. Add the garlic and chili flakes and cook 30 seconds more.
- Add the chicken broth and salt to the skillet, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the pasta and beans, and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking to the pan, 11-13 minutes or until the orecchiette is al dente and has absorbed the majority of the liquid. When adding the orecchiette to the pot, try to separate them as best you can with a wooden spoon so that it will cook evenly.
- When the pasta is almost done, add the kale and stir until incorporated. Remove the pot from heat, and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot with parmesan and enjoy!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.