Pepperoni Pizza Turkey Burgers
Pepperoni Pizza Turkey Burgers are juicy, grilled turkey burgers topped with cheese, pepperoni, and tomato basil marinara sauce. Now you don’t have to decide between pizza and burgers anymore!
I make burgers AAALLLLLL the time, but you know what? This is the first one that made it here. Sure, I have pulled chicken, pulled pork, and roast beef sandwiches, but those aren’t burgers. I make burgers with ground beef every now and then, but mostly it’s turkey burgers. And I decided to give it a pizza twist this time around and get one here on the blog. At last. 🙂
Burgers happen once a week, especially on busy weeknights when we have to rush off to a basketball or baseball game. They’re so fast and so easy, and you can change them up any which way depending on what you’ve got. I love my turkey burgers with fresh tomato, red onion, avocado, ketchup and mustard on most days, but sometimes, it’s fun to do something really different.
This burger was created for my kids. They love burgers, they love pizza, so why not give them the best of both worlds? I’m always putting salads, farro, quinoa, and veggies in their faces, and while they’re decent sports about it, those aren’t typical kid fare. Sometimes you gotta give ’em what they really want. Especially when you need to get out the door in a hurry. 🙂
I’ve been buying Applegate Farms turkey pepperoni, and the kids have been using it on their sandwiches. They could completely live on pepperoni, so I figured I’d find a healthier option. It’s healthier, but still great, and I wasn’t paid to say that– I just like sharing great products with you. 🙂
Since I had the pepperoni in the fridge, the urge to make a pizza-burger hybrid was strong. And I’d just made a big batch of my Easy Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce, which I warned you was versatile enough to use wherever you want to. It was fantastico here.
The next time you want to make something fun for the kids — or for yourself — make these burgers. They’re great when you can’t decide between pizza and burgers, too, or when you just love both of them equally. I definitely fall into that category, so maybe I really made these for myself? No mind, the kids can go on thinking they were just for them and I’ll keep this my little secret. Make that our little secret. 🙂
In case you need a recipe for homemade buns, try these!
More burger love:
Blackened Chicken Burgers with Warm Mango Salsa by Cooking for Keeps
Chicken Souvlaki Burgers by Nutmeg Nanny
Taco Burgers by Taste and Tell
Zucchini Turkey Burgers by Olives & Garlic
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1½ lbs. lean ground turkey*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- (6) burger buns
- Sliced, grated, or fresh mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni slices, about 18-24 smaller*
- *Easy Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce or your favorite store bought
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Place the ground turkey, garlic, Worcestershire, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and mix together with your hands gently until just combined. Be careful not to over mix or the meat will be tough. Form into (6) ¼ lb. patties, about ½" thick, and sprinkle both sides with a bit more salt and pepper. The patties can be made ahead and covered with plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Oil the grill grates with the canola oil, and place the patties on the grill. Grill until 4-5 minutes or until nicely charred on the first side, then flip and continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 4-5 minutes more. Top the burgers with the cheese and pepperoni during the last minute or so of cooking, or immediately after removing from the grill.
- Place each burger on a bun, then place a few spoonfuls of marinara sauce onto the top bun. Place over the top of the turkey burger, serve immediately, and enjoy!
Easy Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce
*I chose to use lean ground turkey as extra lean contains only white meat turkey and dries out easily.
I used Applegate Farms turkey pepperoni, which comes in 1½" round slices. 3 slices per burger was just perfect, but use more if desired.
Use whatever your favorite cheese is here -- there's no wrong way to go!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.