Roasted Cherry Banana Split Cheesecake Parfaits
Roasted Cherry Banana Split Cheesecake Parfaits are layers of syrupy roasted cherries, crushed pineapple, and sliced bananas with creamy no bake Greek yogurt cheesecake filling and chocolate chips atop a graham cracker crumble. They’re simple to put together, and they’re out of this world delicious!
It’s Sunday night, which is my favorite television night. Here are (2) shows that I can’t get enough of:
Naked and Afraid, 9:00 Western Time, Discovery Channel. This show is like Survivor, except it’s an adult male and female that have never met, and they’re dropped in a remote location with no food, water, or clothes for 3 entire weeks. Weathering the elements, predators, and harsh conditions with no clothes — and a naked stranger — is more than I could handle, but it’s sure fun to watch someone else do it! 😆
Homeland doesn’t start for a while now, but Showtime didn’t leave us with nothing to watch until then. They’re new show Ray Donovan (10:00 Western time) instantly hooked me. It’s full of great actors, including Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight. The show is based in Hollywood where Ray Donovan (Schreiber) cleans up famous people’s messes mobster style, and he’s got a very complicated family life that’s unfolding more and more as the show goes on. This show is intense, and each character draws you in. There have only been 3 episodes so far, so catch up now!
Since there’s all this great TV on tonight, you need a great dessert to go with it. These Roasted Cherry Banana Split Cheesecake Parfaits are just the thing! You can make them ahead of time and pull them out when it’s show time. What’s more fun than a banana split inspired dessert on a summer night? I can’t think of one. 🙂
I’ve had banana split desserts on my mind for some time now, because I’ve seen some great ones out there. All the colors and layers are just a feast for my eyes! I decided to make my version parfait style because I didn’t want to make a giant batch. You could easily use everything here and layer them in an 8×8″ baking dish, but aren’t parfaits more fun? 😀
I decided to incorporate my Chobani yogurt once again to make the “cheesecake” filling for these parfaits. This filling is a variation of my Strawberry Greek Yogurt Cheesecake Dip, which I love. Cream cheese can weigh you down considerably, so the Greek yogurt helps lighten it up.
Some time back I made Roasted Strawberries, which I loved more than words express. I decided to roast cherries this time. They were so delicious amidst the creamy cheesecake filling. Growing up, cheesecake topped with cherry pie filling was my favorite, so I figured I would use roasted cherries instead of cherry pie filling with my cheesecake filling. It took me back to my childhood and then some. 🙂
It wouldn’t be a cheesecake parfait without the graham cracker crust, so the bottom layer is a graham cracker crumble. Just mix your crumbs with melted butter and a bit of sugar, and voila! Instant crumble. These parfaits are fun, fruity, and flavorful, and they’re guaranteed to make some eyes light up. They’re as delicious as they are fun to look at. 😉
- 1 lb. fresh cherries, stemmed, pitted, and halved
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 8 ounces ⅓ less fat Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani 0%)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2-3 large bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 large can crushed pineapple, drained
- ½ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the halved cherries on the parchment paper, and sprinkle with the tablespoon of sugar. Mix together gently and spread the cherries out into a single layer. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, then place in a bowl.
- While the cherries roast, prepare the cheesecake filling. In a medium bowl, whip the cream cheese until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the yogurt and powdered sugar, and beat until well combined. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and tablespoon of sugar. Add the melted butter and stir until the crumbs are moistened. Set aside.
- Gather your parfait glasses or jars, and begin building the parfaits. The quantity of each layer depends on the size of your serving dishes. Simply add the desired amount of graham cracker crumbles, followed by the cheesecake filling, and alternating with the crushed pineapple, sliced bananas, roasted cherries, and more filling. Top the parfaits with the chocolate chips and a roasted or fresh cherry.
Want an even lighter dessert? Omit the cream cheese and just alternate the layers of graham crumbs, and fruit with vanilla Greek yogurt.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.