Ah, snickerdoodles. Who doesn’t love them? It’s hard not to. Their appearance is enough to tell you what you’re going to get — soft white, buttery cookies with the warmth of cinnamon. They’re comfort food at it’s best! Well, it’s about to get even better. These Snickerdoodle Bars are that and more. These bars are thick, slightly gooey, with a crispy, cinnamon-sugar exterior. Just the aroma as they bake will have you reeling with delight. They taste just as good as they smell.
I’ve had Snickerdoodles on my brain for a while now, and I wanted to do a bar version. I found one on the blog A Well-Seasoned Life. The recipe was titled “Snickerdoodle Brownies”, which I thought was misleading. I don’t want anyone to think there’s chocolate in here, although I know I would still like it if there were. 😉 The original recipe called for a glaze, but I opted against it, as there’s plenty of sugar in these bars. Glaze would be overkill….wouldn’t it? I almost added cinnamon chips at the last minute and decided against it. I just wanted authentic snickerdoodles here, and that’s precisely what I got and then some!
The special thing about these bars is that they’re loaded with cinnamon-sugar. Half of the batter is spread out in the baking dish, then a layer of cinnamon-sugar is sprinkled on. The remaining batter is then dolloped on by the teaspoonful, and sprinkled with more cinnamon-sugar.
After it bakes, you can see all of that cinnamon-sugar in all it’s glory! I love how rustic and coffee cake-like these bars look! Somehow I feel like pecan pieces would be wonderful here? Perhaps next time!
These Snickerdoodle bars are soft, crispy, and delectable. The abundance of cinnamon will warm you up heart and soul. It’s hard to think of a more comforting cookie. Make a batch of these bars, and comfort yourself today!
- 2⅓ cups all purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating on low speed until incorporated. Beat in the vanilla. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared baking dish. The batter will be sticky, but spread it as evenly as you can. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the batter. Using a teaspoon, drop dollops of the remaining batter over the cinnamon-sugar mixture. The cinnamon-sugar mixture will still be visible in many areas. Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon-sugar. Bake for 25 minutes on the center rack of the oven. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cut into squares and enjoy!