Spicy Orange Baked Sweet Potato Fries
I remember back in May worrying that I wouldn’t have enough time to work on my blog with the kids on summer break. It turns out that it really hasn’t impacted me much, and I don’t even feel close to pulling my hair out yet because my kids are dying of boredom and they’re fighting because of it. The truth is, we’re having a great summer, and I feel like the bottom’s fallen out and it’s about to come to a screeching halt. Once August hits, things will begin ramping up with soccer practices, school shopping, and cramming in all of those last minute summer trips to the beach, etc. that we haven’t gotten to yet. The passing of each summer just reenforces the fact that my kids are getting older and older, and that I need to savor my time with them even more. How did my post on Spicy Orange Baked Sweet Potato Fries turn into this sentimental rant? I have no idea. 😉
I’m thrilled that sweet potato fries are a side dish option almost anywhere nowadays, because I’ll take them over regular fries any day. I don’t eat a lot of fries, but when I do, I make it count. They have to be sweet potato. 😀
Obviously fries aren’t too healthy, which is why I don’t eat a lot of them. Enter this baked version. There’s so much flavor here that you won’t miss regular fries. They’re baked with fresh orange juice, honey, olive oil, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. They’ve got that sweet and savory thing going on that I love. They’re nice and caramelized, and they’re even better with ketchup. 🙂
I bake these fries on parchment paper so my rimmed baking sheet won’t be completely destroyed afterward. The orange juice tends to burn on the pan around the fries, and I’m telling you this because I want to save you some clean-up time, too. I also don’t want you to panic thinking your fries are burning. 😉
If you love sweet potato fries, these are a must try. They’re delicious, easy, and they’re waistline friendly. Yes, these are some flavorful, friendly, french fries. 😆
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½" wedges
- Juice of (1) medium orange
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potato wedges in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, olive oil, honey, chili powder, and cayenne pepper until well combined. Add to the sweet potatoes, and toss to coat evenly. Pour the mixture onto the parchment lined baking sheet and spread out into an even layer. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt, to taste. Cool slightly and serve warm with ketchup!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.