Warm Roasted Corn Salad
It’s almost summer, which means beautiful, bountiful produce. I go to the farmer’s market each and every Thursday evening in my home town, and I feel like a kid in a candy store. Everything is so fresh and colorful, I just want to buy everything. I know this isn’t possible, so I try to go with a list of what I need depending on what I want to make. It requires planning, which can be difficult! This Warm Roasted Corn Salad is something I think about every time I lay eyes on fresh corn. Roasted corn is something I could eat by the bucketful. It’s a combination of the bright yellow with the charred black bits, and the roasted flavor with that sweet corn that get me. It’s also so crisp and crunchy. I told you I loved it! 😉 This salad is perfect as a side dish for anything you’re grilling or eating this summer — 100% guaranteed.
I make my own roasted corn all the time, but if you’d like to save a step, you can buy frozen roasted corn at Trader Joe’s, as well as many other supermarkets. I’ve used the frozen variety often, especially in the off-season, and it works perfectly. 🙂 If you do end up roasting your own corn, you can do it ahead of time, cut it off of the cob, and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to make the salad. That is, if you can control yourself and not eat it all beforehand. I have severe problems with that. 😉
This salad only requires a bit of chopping. There are green onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and avocado involved, which are all very easy to work with. The prep for this salad is about 10-15 minutes if you roast your own corn and cut it off the cob. I also love to add fresh cilantro sprigs for added freshness and flavor. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any when I made it this time, so it’s not in the photo. I completely advise using it, however! Of course, it’s not a summer salad without a pop of citrus flavor, so there’s fresh lime juice as well. 🙂
This salad is the perfect way to serve up some fresh produce this summer. It’s nice because it’s not your run of the mill side dish — it’s colorful, fresh, and delicious, and will appeal to just about anyone. Serve some up today! 🙂
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh or frozen roasted corn (if using frozen, thaw slightly)
- (2) green onions, white and green parts
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 avocado, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- freshly chopped cilantro or springs for garnish
- Remove the husk and silks from (2) ears of fresh corn. Heat a grill pan or your outdoor grill to medium high heat and oil lightly. Roast the corn directly on the grill, turning about every 2 minutes, for about 10 minutes, or until slightly tender, and char marks appear on all sides. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, cut the corn kernels off of the cob and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook the green onion whites for 1 minute. Add the garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add the corn and cherry tomatoes, and cook 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes have softened slightly but don't lose their shape. Remove from heat. Add the green parts of the green onion and lime juice, and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve the salad topped with diced avocado and fresh cilantro.
Adapted from Ellie Krieger's Warm Tomato-Corn Salad