I finally did it! I tried Nutella! I can see why I tried to stay away from it for so long, because it’s SOOO good. :tounge: I decided to make a promise with myself to just use it as an ingredient and not eat it right out of the jar, because me, Nutella, and a spoon would be really bad. I know I can do this. I think I can do this. 😉 I love hazelnuts, and of course, I love chocolate, so Nutella is sinful for me. Swirled atop these muffins, however, it’s not so bad. Why, you may ask? These Whole Grain Banana Nutella Swirl Muffins are moist and healthy, with the indulgence of Nutella. It’s a breakfast that makes you feel like you’re eating cake, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that since you have no reason to feel guilty eating these at all! Now that’s nice. 😀
These muffins were adapted from my Pumpkin Bread recipe, but they were completely inspired by the Nutella Banana Swirled Muffins that I spotted on The Novice Chef blog weeks ago. They were gorgeous, and I knew that was going to be my first recipe using Nutella. The Nutella was kind of hard to swirl around because it’s thick, but it can be done. Just swirl the Nutella with a toothpick and try to keep the swirl on the top. I messed up the first few by over-swirling the Nutella and it sank to the middle. It did make for a nice bite in the middle of the muffin, but the swirls look so divine on top of this beautiful, golden banana muffin, that we want them to stay there!
These muffins aren’t dense and heavy, they’re moist and light, and almost spongy like sponge cake. They get they’re moisture mostly from buttermilk and banana, and they only have a small amount of canola oil. They’re like healthy cake! 🙂
I normally make my muffins with half all purpose flour and half whole wheat flour, and these are no different. You can certainly use all purpose flour instead of the whole wheat, but then the “whole grain” part of this recipe goes away! :-S I love getting in whole grains wherever I can, but that’s completely up to you!
I’m looking forward to using Nutella again VERY soon. It’s burning a hole in my pantry shelf….literally! As long as the spoons stay in the drawer and I stay away from it, I’ll be ok. I have some will power, and if that’s not enough, there’s always the gym. 😉
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup low fat buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray the cups with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and eggs until well combined. Whisk in the canola oil, mashed banana, and vanilla. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Be careful not to over stir, or the muffins will be tough. Fill each muffin cup ¾ full. Place a teaspoon or so of Nutella on top of the the batter in each muffin cup, and swirl lightly with a toothpick. Try not to mix the Nutella into the batter so that the swirls are nice, dark, and chocolatey! Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan, and cool completely on the wire racks. Store the muffins in an air tight container at room temperature. Enjoy!