Whole Grain Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
The peanut butter-banana flavor combination is near and dear to my heart. Almost every day for lunch, I crave (and eat) a whole wheat English muffin with crunchy peanut butter and banana. My Whole Grain Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread was adapted by a recipe I saw a few weeks ago for Peanut Butter Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips on the website Brown Eyed Baker. The second I laid eyes on it, I knew I needed to bake it. In fact, I’ll go so far as to say that this bread was made just for me. The taste is nothing short of WOW. The bread is not only moist, but it’s packed with just the right balance of peanut butter, banana, and chocolate, so that you can taste all of the lovely nuances of each one. In a peanut shell, this bread is just screamin’ good! 🙂
I made this bread whole grain by substituting half whole wheat flour for half of the all-purpose flour, which I pretty much do for all of my breads, muffins, pancakes, and waffles. The bread came together in a hurry, and in about an hour, it came out of the oven. I have to say, it was a beauty to behold. The top was a big, crusty dome, with chocolate chips, and small chunks of peanuts scattered inside the deep cracks.
See what I mean? When I sliced it, there were also good sized chunks of banana because I purposely didn’t mash it up too fine. All I can say is, Elvis would’ve loved this bread. I’ll go out on a limb and say I’m probably as big a lover of the peanut butter and banana sandwich as he was, and to me, this bread is a complete slice of heaven. 🙂
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or whole wheat white)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter (or creamy)
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a standard size loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, mashed banana, brown sugar, sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla until well incorporated. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and smooth the top. Bake in the center rack of the oven for about an hour to one hour fifteen minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.