6-Ingredient Grilled Basil Chicken Foil Packets
This recipe is sponsored by Bertolli®. All opinions expressed here are my own.
6-Ingredient Grilled Basil Chicken Foil Packets are a fresh, simple dinner that’s on the table in 30 minutes!
Years ago my husband used to do all the grilling because I was intimidated by it. Over time he started working swing shift, so I finally decided that I needed to learn how to grill. He gave me a brief lesson and to my surprise, it was really easy.
In the summer, it doesn’t get better than grilling a simple meal that comes together quickly like these 6-Ingredient Grilled Basil Chicken Foil Packets. This is a perfect summer meal to enjoy at home on a warm evening or cook over a campfire on a camping trip.
One of the main ingredients of this dish is Bertolli® Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil, which is made from organic olives and produced using organic farming standards.
Bertolli® is the #1 olive oil brand worldwide. With 150 years of expertise in olive oil blending,Bertolli® brings a rich heritage to every kitchen. They’re committed to providing only non-GMO olive oils via a full portfolio of USDA organic offerings, which provides added assurance of high quality sourcing options.
My task was to create a dish that’s simple yet unexpected with only 6 ingredients. 5 of the 6 ingredients were specified by Bertolli®, and included chicken or jackfruit, a purple vegetable (cauliflower, radish, sweet potato, or corn), basil, and kumquats.
Since it’s summertime, my mind immediately went to something that could be grilled. I’d never tried a foil packet meal before this recipe, so I was excited to try it out.
I decided to use chicken and purple sweet potato from the ingredients specified, and added yellow corn because I thought it would compliment the kumquats and because I can never get enough corn in the summer.
The fresh basil oil sauce is the true star of this dish. The Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, which has an intense, full bodied flavor, paired perfectly with the fresh basil, kumquat juice, salt, and pepper.
This sauce is similar to pesto without nuts or cheese. I honestly don’t use use nuts or cheese in my pesto sauce most of the time anyway as I don’t feel that it needs it. This sauce is fresh and flavorful, and brightened the entire dish.
If you’re not familiar with kumquats, I encourage you to try them. They’re the only citrus that you can eat whole. The juicy interior can be quite tart, but the rind is pleasantly sweet. They were just the pop of flavor this meal needed!
How to make this recipe:
There are only a few simple steps to prep these 6-Ingredient Basil Chicken Foil Packets. Start by tearing off (4) 12×14 sheets of foil and placing them on your work surface.
Season your chicken breast with salt and pepper and place (1) chicken breast half on each piece of foil. Prepare the sauce, and use half of it to coat the chicken (you’ll use the other half at serving time).
Divide the purple sweet potatoes, corn, and kumquats among the (4) packets and be sure to top each piece of chicken with about (4) slices of kumquats.
Seal the packets, grill for 20 minutes, and serve with the remaining sauce!
This meal has been on repeat the past few weeks as it’s gotten rave reviews from the family. The chicken is so moist and juicy and the vegetables are so perfectly tender!
I’d never had purple sweet potato before and found it to be so delicious that I want to use it a lot more often. I’d also never cooked kumquats in a savory dish before and I found that their acidity mellowed during cooking. They were tender and sweet with a mild tang.
This meal only require 10 minutes of prep and 20 minutes of cooking time, which means you have a delicious meal and more time to enjoy your summer!
- If kumquats aren’t in season, substitute with lemon, lime, or orange.
- If sweet potatoes aren’t your thing, substitute with halved fingerling or baby potatoes.
6-Ingredient Grilled Basil Chicken Foil Packets
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts halved (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 12 kumquats divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided
- 2 large purple sweet potatoes about 1 lb., peeled and sliced into 1/2" thick rounds
- 2 large ears of corn shucked and cut in half
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 12x14" sheets of foil
- Preheat the grill to medium. Season the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place the basil in the bowl of a food processor. Halve (4) of the kumquats and squeeze the juice of each half into a bowl (you should have about a tablespoon). Add the juice to the food processor along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pulse the basil until coarsely chopped and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Replace the lid and add the olive oil through the feed tube while processing constantly. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Place one piece of chicken on each sheet of foil. Using half of the basil oil sauce, spread the sauce over the chicken until the top and bottom are well coated. Reserve the other half of the sauce for serving.
- Divide the sweet potatoes and corn on the cob between each of the four packets.
- Slice the remaining (8) kumquats and divide between the foil packets, topping each piece of chicken with about (4) slices. Fold the edges of the foil over the chicken and vegetables and seal well.
- Grill for 20 minutes and remove from heat. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes and serve with the remaining basil oil sauce. Enjoy!
- If kumquats aren't in season, substitute with lemon, lime, or orange.
- If sweet potatoes aren't your thing, substitute with halved fingerling or baby potatoes.
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.