Almond Joy Brownies
Almond Joy Brownies are gooey, cocoa brownies with a luscious coconut layer topped with Almond Joy pieces, chopped almonds, and angel flake coconut. They’re an Almond Joy lover’s dream!
I’ve been the biggest lover of coconut since I can remember, so one of my favorite candies has always been Almond Joys. This is not my first Almond Joy inspired desserts — nope. There are my Almond Joy Bars and my Almond Joy Macaroons, but these brownies? They epitomize Almond Joys in every chocolatey, coconutty bite.
The brownie is one of my favorite brownie recipes. No melted chocolate, just lots of cocoa powder. You can literally whip up the brownie batter in minutes. The coconut layer is beyond simple, too. Just stir some sweetened shredded coconut with some sweetened condensed milk, and voila! — you have an Almond Joy-like filling.
No Almond Joy brownie would be complete without chopped raw almonds, which get nice and toasted as the brownies bake. I think what makes these really special (as if they’re not special enough), is the Almond Joy pieces. They’re so delicious and pop-able, and those colors give these brownies some real Almond Joy flair. Almond Joy lover’s, meet your new favorite brownie! 🙂
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup chopped raw almonds
- ½ cup Almond Joy pieces
- angel flake coconut, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8x8" baking dish with parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, espresso powder, and salt. Whisk in the butter in a steady stream until incorporated. Whisk in the vanilla. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, whisking vigorously after each addition. Stir in the flour just until incorporated, careful not to over mix. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Pour the coconut mixture over the brownie layer and press down gently and evenly until it completely covers the brownie layer. Dollop the remaining brownie batter over the coconut filling and spread evenly. Top with Almond Joy pieces, chopped almonds, and angel flake coconut. Bake 30-40 minutes, checking for doneness after 25 minutes. You should see small cracks on the top of the brownies, and the middle should be set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the brownies have cooled, cut into squares and enjoy! Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Brownie recipe adapted from Bon Appetit's Cocoa Brownies.