Apple Blackberry Baked Oatmeal
Apple Blackberry Baked Oatmeal is creamy, warm, and comforting with fresh blackberries and sliced apples, cinnamon, and maple syrup. This is a breakfast you’ll be excited to wake up to!
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again — I’m an oatmeal freak. I love it, and eat it almost every day. I love oatmeal cookies, granola bars, fruit crisps, etc. I even added it to my Turkey Meatloaf with Homemade Barbecue Sauce, which was pure heaven. 🙂 Last year I made Apple Raisin Baked Oatmeal and found a new oatmeal obsession. It was like apple pie wrapped up in a healthy breakfast, and who wouldn’t want to eat that when they wake up?? My Blueberry Morning Glory Baked Oatmeal was crazy good, too. I really need to make that again!
A few weeks ago when I made this, I had loads of blackberries. Remember my Healthier Blackberry Cinnamon muffins? It was around then, and I was on a huge blackberry kick. This oatmeal was such a great way to celebrate late summer berries and delicious fall apples. They’re livened up with warm, spicy cinnamon, and maple syrup. Add some sliced almonds on top for a nice, toasty crunch, and it really doesn’t get much better. 🙂
You can make this delicious breakfast gluten-free by using gluten-free oats, and you may also make it dairy free by using coconut milk or almond milk. The best part about this is that it can be customized to meet almost any diet requirements.
I can honestly tell you that I ate this for dessert one night after eating it for breakfast that same day. If I eat something twice in one day, you know I love it. I think you’ll love it, too, so if you haven’t tried baked oatmeal yet, get on it! Your new favorite breakfast is waiting for you. 🙂
- 2 cups old fashioned oats or gluten-free oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups skim milk, coconut, or almond milk (I used skim)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups fresh blackberries, halved if large
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and sliced into ¼" slices
- ¼-1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8x8" glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange the apple slices on the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Pour half of the oat mixture evenly over the apples. Dot the top of the oats with half of the blackberries. Pour the other half of the oats over the blackberries, and dot with the remaining blackberries.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, maple syrup, and vanilla until well incorporated. Pour the milk mixture over the oat mixture and give the baking dish a good rap or two on the counter. Top with the sliced almonds. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until set and golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Apple Raisin Baked Oatmeal.