I’ve really been in the mood for a nice, cheesy tomato sauce based pasta dish. With the holidays and all, it’s been a while. I’ve come across a couple of different baked ravioli recipes over the past few months, so I figured that it had to be a sign. Baked ravioli is basically lasagna, but layered with frozen ravioli instead of lasagna noodles. Yes, that’s right — frozen ravioli. I’m bringing you yet another no-boil pasta recipe. I think I’m starting a trend. 😉
You can make this baked ravioli as elaborate or as simple as you’d like. I was in a hurry yesterday, so I used a jar of pasta sauce that I had in my pantry. I do like to make a big batch of sauce and freeze it, but I just haven’t gotten around to doing it lately. Besides, I wanted to try a new sauce — Dave’s Gourmet Organic Red Heirloom Tomato pasta sauce — that I’d picked up a while back. It was great in this dish, and I highly recommend it! All you need to do is grab some ground beef, brown it, drain it, and add it to the sauce. Next, grab an 8×8″ baking dish, spray it with cooking spray, and start layering the meat sauce with the frozen ricotta ravioli, and shredded mozzarella cheese. Just like lasagna, you’ll need to pour just enough sauce into the dish to cover the bottom. Place half of the ravioli, which in this case were 24 small ones, over the sauce.
Pour half of the remaining sauce over the raviolis, then sprinkled about a half a cup of cheese over the sauce. Next, place the last 24 raviolis over the first layer.
Cover the raviolis with the remaining sauce, and sprinkle another half a cup of cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until it’s nice and bubbly. Let stand for about 10 minutes, and serve!
You can change this dish up so many different ways. You can make it vegetarian by omitting the meat and substituting cremini mushrooms and/or zucchini. Ground turkey, chicken, or sausage would also be fabulous. The sky’s the limit. All I can promise is that this is a dish that’s both easy and delicious. You’ll be asking yourself, who needs lasagna?
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 25½ ounce jar pasta sauce (I used Dave's Gourmet Organic Red Heirloom Tomato)
- 15 ounces frozen ravioli (I used Genova Delicatessen Ricotta)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8" baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef with the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper just until combined. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the ground beef, and break up the meat into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place in a medium bowl. Discard the grease.
- Add the pasta sauce to the meat, and stir until combined. In the prepared baking dish, pour in just enough of the sauce to cover the bottom. Place half of the ravioli over the sauce. Pour half of the remaining sauce over the ravioli layer, covering the ravioli as much as possible. Sprinkle half a cup of cheese over the sauce. Place the remaining ravioli over the cheese, then pour the remaining half of the pasta sauce over the top, covering the ravioli as much as possible. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Place on the center rack of the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until nice and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This dish would be great with ground turkey, chicken, or sausage, also. Use your favorite ravioli and your favorite homemade or bottled pasta sauce.