Balsamic Honey Chicken Peach Skewers
Balsamic Honey Chicken Peach Skewers are balsamic honey marinated chicken breasts skewered with fresh peach, red bell pepper, and red onion, grilled to perfection. They’re sweet, savory, and the perfect summer meal.
It hasn’t been the hottest summer so far, but this past week it’s gotten a whole lot hotter. That means one thing: less oven and more grilling. I had some chicken thawed out, and I was trying to figure out what to do with it beyond just seasoning it and slapping it on the barbecue.
For once, I was trying to figure out what to do with the chicken hours in advance, so I actually had time to do a marinade. Major bonus points for me right there. 🙂
I had an overabundance of stone fruit on my counter, which is a good “problem” to have, but most of it was earmarked for another one of my projects. There was one gigantic peach that was free for dinner, however, so I knew I needed to get it on these skewers.
Whenever I think of stone fruit, I think of balsamic…which then led me to think the chicken needed to marinate in balsamic vinegar and honey. I marinated the chicken for 4 hours, then skewered them with fresh peach chunks, red bell pepper, and red onion.
My friends, this was one great flavor combination. 🙂
If you’ve never grilled a peach, you’ve just got to. They just turn magical on the grill — sweet and smoky — and they were perfect with this balsamic honey chicken. The red onion and red bell pepper added a savory freshness that made these skewers hit all the flavor notes.
I served the skewers with quinoa, dressed with just a drizzle of olive oil, some lemon juice, and salt and pepper. I knew the juices of the chicken and fruit were going to flavor up that quinoa plenty, so plainly dressed was best! Rice would also be a great side dish here.
Wherever there’s balsamic vinegar, that means balsamic glaze, so you know I did this:
I’m willing to bet that if you make these skewers that you’ll be drizzling balsamic glaze over them, too. I highly recommend it, because I’m a firm believer that balsamic cannot be overdone. So drizzle away, and prepare to lick your fingers and your plates. Flavorful grilled chicken skewered with juicy, smoky peach, fresh veggies and balsamic glaze is what summer is all about, folks. 😉
Balsamic Honey Chicken Peach Skewers
For the marinade:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
For the skewers:
- 6 10" wooden skewers
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts seasoned with salt and pepper and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 large peach or 2 medium, seeded and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded and cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 red onion cut into 1" chunks
- balsamic glaze for serving (optional)
- Place the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, garlic, and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Place the chicken in a large zip top bag or bowl, and pour the marinade over it. Toss the chicken in the marinade until it's well coated, and seal the bag or cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours or overnight.
- One hour before ready to grill, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and allow to stand at room temperature as it will cook more evenly if it's not cold. Skewer the chicken chunks on the wooden skewers, alternating with the peach chunks, red bell pepper, and red onion. Let stand in the marinade while you preheat the grill.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat, and oil the grill grates to prevent sticking. Grill the skewers about 3 minutes per side, or about 12-15 minutes total. Remove from the grill and serve with the balsamic glaze and quinoa or rice. Enjoy!
- Total time above includes 4 hours for the chicken to marinate in the balsamic honey marinade. The longer the chicken marinates, the more flavor it will have, so marinate over night for even better results.
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.