BLT Burgers with Whipped Blue Cheese
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Castello Cheese. I’m partnering with Castello for a Summer of Blue, and all opinions expressed here are my own. #BluesdayTuesday
BLT Burgers with Whipped Blue Cheese are juicy burgers with bacon, lettuce, and heirloom tomatoes, topped with creamy, whipped blue cheese. These burgers take BLT’s to a fabulous new level!
Cheese makes everything better, doesn’t it? I partake in some form of cheese pretty much every single day, so I was thrilled to be able to work with Castello on their Summer of Blue campaign and receive some of their creamy, quality traditional Danish Blue cheese.
When I think of blue cheese, my mind immediately goes to wedge salads with creamy blue cheese dressing, cobb salads with crumbled blue cheese, and of course — burgers. Especially juicy, grilled grass-fed beef burgers. Hungry yet? 🙂
Just in case you’re not hungry yet, let’s talk about the bacon-blue cheese combination for a minute. The creamy, tangy blue cheese with the salty bacon is umami overboard — sincerely. It was that combination that led me to make this burger, and am I ever glad I did.
Lucky for me, it happens to be the middle of summer when tomatoes are at their peak. We don’t have dull, flavorless tomatoes, but juicy, full-flavored ones. And it doesn’t hurt that there are gorgeous heirloom varieties everywhere you look right now, which is what I’ve used here. The colorful tomatoes make this burger that much more appetizing, and life can’t get much better.
The thing is, life can get better — a whole lot better. There has to be a creamy element on a burger, and since I’m not much of a mayo person, I decided to conduct a tasty little experiment and whip our blue cheese. Yes — whipped blue cheese!
Not only was this a deliciously successful experiment, it was life changing. It was the perfect spread for this BLT burger, and there’s really no going back. I mean, the possibilities are endless for this whipped blue cheese. Think crostini, sandwiches, wraps — you name it! Life changing, I tell ya.
Next time you’re in the mood for burgers, take them to a whole new level. A BLT-with-whipped-blue-cheese-kind-of-level. You’ll be so glad you did. 🙂
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (I used ⅓ less fat neufchâtel)
- 2 ounces Castello traditional Danish Blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, for the grill
- 1 lb. 85% lean grass-fed beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices of thick cut bacon, cooked according to package instructions
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- Romaine or ice berg lettuce
- 4 burger buns
- Place the softened cream cheese and blue cheese in a small bowl and beat at medium speed until combined and nicely whipped. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium and oil the grates.
- While the grill heats, place the ground beef, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl. Using your hands, gently work the garlic and Worcestershire into the meat, careful not to overwork it as it will get tough. Divide into 4 patties about ¼" larger than the buns you're using, and make an indent in the center with your thumb to keep shrinking to a minimum. Sprinkle both sides generously with salt and pepper, then grill for about 3 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove from heat, and cover with loosely with foil.
- Turn the heat off of the grill and place the buns face down on the grill until warm and slightly toasty.
- Place lettuce and tomatoes on the bottom bun, then top with a burger. Top the burger with a slice of bacon, and spread the whipped blue cheese on the top bun. Place the top bun over the burger, then serve immediately and enjoy!