Blueberry Pecan Breakfast Quinoa
Blueberry Pecan Breakfast Quinoa is quinoa cooked in coconut milk until it’s rich and creamy, and topped with fresh blueberries, toasted pecan, cinnamon, and maple syrup. This is the gluten-free way to a delicious, protein-packed breakfast!
There’s never been a day that I’ve gone without breakfast…EVER. I often go to bed thinking about what I’ll eat for breakfast, and wake up thinking about it, too. This breakfast quinoa wasn’t planned…I just woke up one weekend morning and decided I was going to make some because it’s been on my bucket list for a while. It’s something that I’ll definitely be making more often. 🙂
I almost tossed in a bunch of coconut, because you know me — I’ll toss it into everything! I’ve been eating a ton lately with my German Chocolate Cake Roll and Blueberry Coconut Baked Donuts, so I settled on just using coconut milk to cook the quinoa in. I got plenty of coconut flavor from the milk, and it made the quinoa so rich and creamy.
This breakfast quinoa could not be easier to make. Just rinse and drain the quinoa, and place it in a medium saucepan with the coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the liquid has absorbed and the quinoa is nice and soft.
The quinoa has a delicious, nutty flavor, and it was perfect with fresh blueberries, crunchy pecans, and a splash of maple syrup to sweeten it up. Add cinnamon and more milk for serving, and you’ve got one hearty, protein-packed breakfast that’s gonna keep you going until lunch. I’m gladly going to swap out my morning oatmeal for this during the week, because it’s great way to change up breakfast. And speaking of changing things up, you can customize this quinoa to your liking. Raspberries, strawberries, coconut…let me count the ways. 🙂
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup coconut milk (I used full fat)
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Fresh blueberries, toasted pecans, cinnamon, maple syrup, and more coconut milk, for serving
- Place the quinoa, coconut milk, water, and pinch of salt in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, turn the heat down to low, and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is soft. Add the vanilla extract and fluff with a fork. Let stand 2-5 minutes. Serve with fresh blueberries, toasted pecans, cinnamon, maple syrup, and more coconut milk. Enjoy!
- If you're not a fan of coconut, you can substitute regular milk or simply use water.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 54mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is mean to be an estimate only. The numbers will vary based on the quantity consumed, brands used and substitutions that are made.