Caprese Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Drizzle
Caprese Grilled Cheese is sourdough bread filled with fresh mozzarella, tomato and pesto sauce grilled to perfection. It’s the ultimate grilled cheese!
Caprese salad is one of my favorite things. There’s something about the creamy, fresh mozzarella with ripe tomato and fresh basil. I had an idea to make a grilled cheese version some time ago, and today my vision came to life.
I have to say that this Caprese Grilled Cheese instantly turned into one of my favorite sandwiches. The crust bread is slathered with pesto sauce and filled with fresh mozzarella and tomato, and grilled to perfection.
Instead of fresh basil leaves, I decided to make a pesto sauce for this sandwich. Use my Pesto Sauce recipe, or buy store bought if you’re pressed for time.
Pesto sauce is near and dear to my heart, and many of those bottled versions don’t taste fresh enough. It’s not pesto if you can’t taste that fresh basil flavor! I recommend buying a pesto sauce that’s in refrigerated section by fresh ravioli and tortellini.
Balsamic reduction is drizzled over the tomato and cheese when it’s fresh out of the pan, and it’s pure heaven.
I made homemade balsamic glaze by cooking one cup of balsamic vinegar in a saucepan over medium heat for about 20-23 minutes. The vinegar will reduce to about 1/4 cup, and will thicken and coat a wooden spoon when it’s done.
Once it’s reduced, it becomes a thick syrup that’s sweet and tangy. It just puts this sandwich over the top! The best part is you’ll have leftovers of the balsamic reduction to use in desserts, to drizzle over pizzas, or more sandwiches.
If you don’t have the time or patience to make your own, you can buy store bought or omit it altogether.
Once you make this sandwich, you’ll never look at regular old grilled cheese the same again. It’s fresh, indulgent and just downright delicious.
Get to it! Your new favorite sandwich is waiting for you. 🙂
More sandwich recipes you’ll love:
Tuna salad by Food Network
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices of your favorite crusty bread
- 8 teaspoons of homemade or store bought pesto sauce
- (8) 1/4" slices fresh mozzarella
- (8) thin slices of fresh tomato
- salt and pepper, to taste
Prepare the Balsamic Reduction:
- Place the balsamic vinegar in a small sauce pan and heat over medium. Stir often until it comes to a boil, then stir constantly until the vinegar reduces to 1/4 cup and coats a wooden spoon, about 20 minutes total. Set aside.
Prepare the Sandwiches:
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Brush a light coating of olive oil over the pan.
- Spread one teaspoon pesto sauce over each slice of bread. Place two slices of fresh mozzarella over (4) bread slices. Place two slices of tomato over the mozzarella, and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Place the additional (4) slices of bread over the tomato. Lightly brush both sides of the sandwiches with olive oil. Place the sandwiches in the grill pan and grill 2-3 minutes per side, or until the bread is nice and golden brown. Remove from the pan. Remove the top piece of bread off of each sandwich, and drizzle with the balsamic reduction. Serve immediately!
- Prep time above includes making homemade pesto sauce.
- Cook time includes making the balsamic reduction.