Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Dip
Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Dip is tangy and creamy, with sweet caramelized onions throughout. It’s lightened up without skimping on flavor, so you can enjoy your dip without feeling bad about it!
Happy Game Day, everybody! 😀 It’s officially football season, and I couldn’t be happier about it. Before kids I would sit around on Sunday and watch almost every game. I can’t even believe Sundays were ever so leisurely for me, but they were! Now, I’m normally in the kitchen with the TV on so I can catch the game while I cook, but I’m fine with that. I love the excitement that football brings, and it’s definitely my favorite sport to watch. I’m an avid baseball fan, but it’s SOOO slow. I’m not alone there am I? ❓
I love dip as much as I love football, so Game Day gives me an excuse to indulge. Chips and dip is one of my major weaknesses, so it’s even better if the dip is healthier. I just worked out really hard this morning, and I don’t want my workout going good-bye on just the appetizer!
French onion dip is one of my all time favorite dips with those big, thick Kettle chips. This Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Dip is my attempt to replace the French onion dip, and it worked. It’s so satisfying and so delicious, that I don’t feel like I’m missing out one bit, AND I feel good after. I love them with Wild Rice Works Wild Rice Crisps — they’re whole grain and so crunchy. I’m completely addicted to those chips!
Have you ever made caramelized onions before? If so, you know how sweet and delicious they are. When you make them, make extra, because you can use them in quesadillas, as a topping for pizza, or add them to your sauteed veggies. I’m hooked on them and just can’t make them enough now. Store them in the fridge for emergency dip-making purposes, too. It’s football season, remember, and a good dip is a must. This dip fits that bill perfectly. Time to go watch the game!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup Chobani 2% Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup Veganaise or mayo
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and the pinch of salt, and stir occasionally until the onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 20-30 minutes. Be careful not to stir too often as you want the onions to brown evenly. If the onions are cooking to quickly or starting to burn, reduce the heat slightly. When the onions are done, remove from heat and cool.
- Prepare the dip. In a medium bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, Veganaise, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in about ½ cup of the caramelized onion and dollop a tablespoon or two on top. Store any remaining onions in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
Make extra caramelized onions to store in the fridge for quesadillas, sauteed veggies, pizza, and more dip!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.