Cherry Overnight Oats
Cherry Overnight Oats are creamy overnight oats layered with an easy homemade cherry pie filling. Get your cherry pie fix the overnight oats way!
We’re starting our Monday off with cherry pie — what could be better than that? OK, not real cherry pie, but these Cherry Overnight Oats have homemade cherry pie filling, which makes them cherry pie to me.
The filling is the best part anyway, isn’t it?
I get really excited about cherries during the summer. I know I say that about so many different types of produce, but I love my fruits and veggies. What’s a girl to do except get excited about it? 🙂
I also get excited about overnight oats, which you probably know already. The chia seeds are a must for me — I’ve tried the oats without and they’re just not the same.
So cherries! Big, plump, juicy cherries…I love ’em all. For this cherry chia overnight oats recipe however, I used bing cherries because they’re the all-American cherry pie cherry. Which makes these the all-American overnight oats, I presume.
This cherry pie filling only takes about 15 minutes to make, and you can definitely make it ahead. I used my handy cherry pitter which I never thought I needed until I just did, and I haven’t wanted to part with it since. It makes things really easy when pitting those cherries, just do it in a deep enough bowl and don’t wear white.
We’re talking cherry juice spatters…be warned.
Once pitted, cook those cherries down for about 10 minutes with some water, maple syrup or sweetener of choice, and some cornstarch, and you’re left with luscious, glistening cherry pie filling.
If you don’t want to mess around with pitting cherries, by all means buy frozen cherries. Since they’re frozen at their peak, you’ll still get great flavor.
And speaking of flavors, you can get creative with that by adding cardamom, orange zest, and even some bourbon to liven things up.
I made my filling the day before and refrigerated them overnight with my oats, and layered up my parfaits in the morning.
More Overnight Oat recipes you’ll love!
- Blueberry Overnight Oats
- Carrot Cake Overnight Oats by Fit Foodie Finds
- Chai Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats
- Piña Colada Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Overnight Oats
Cherry Pie Overnight Oats
For the cherry pie filling:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted dark cherries thawed if frozen
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the overnight oats:
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats*
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2½ cups unsweetened almond milk
Prepare the filling:
- Place the cherries, maple syrup, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the cherries soften and the juices thicken up, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Cool completely. The filling will thicken as it cools.
Prepare the overnight oats:
- Place the oats, chia seeds, maple syrup, and milk in a large bowl and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 6 hours or overnight.
- Layer the oats in jars with the desired amount of filling, serve and enjoy!
- *Make sure to use gluten free certified oats if gluten intolerant.
- Depending on the size of your jars or bowls, serving sizes vary. A good rule of thumb is 1 heaping tablespoon of the cherry pie filling for every 1/2 cup overnight oats.
- If you have any cherry pie filling leftover, it's also great served over Greek yogurt!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.