Double Peanut Butter Granola with Cranberries
I just love granola. 🙂 My favorite store bought granola has been Nature’s Path for years, and I used to buy it at Costco, because obviously it was the most cost-effective way to enjoy it. The problem was, we still went through it quickly, being the granola lovers that we are. My favorite flavor is the Nature’s Path peanut butter, so I decided to make my own extra peanut-buttery granola. This Double Peanut Butter Granola with Cranberries is double the peanut butter flavor with crunchy peanut butter AND Reese’s peanut butter chips, and dried cranberries, which lend a chewy-fruity-tartness that just balances the whole thing out. Who said granola was boring? 😉
I’ve had a big craving for peanut butter granola lately, so I started looking through my pins on Pinterest to see if I had any good recipes. I forgot that I’d pinned a recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Granola by Cookie Monster Cooking a while back, so this recipe was definitely my “Pinspiration”. I didn’t have any peanuts and I was on a mission, so I decided to use Reese’s peanut butter chips instead. It’s the same thing, isn’t it? 😉 I used some unsweetened cocoa powder with just a bit of espresso powder to give the granola a subtle chocolate flavor. When you have this granola in milk, the milk turns into peanut buttery-chocolate goodness. It was hard not to have a second bowl! :tounge:
I love cranberries, and I think they always add a lovely tart, sweetness. If they’re not your favorite, you can substitute raisins or your favorite dried fruit. You can also omit the dried fruit all together and top the granola with your favorite fresh fruit like sliced bananas or strawberries. As with any granola recipe, it can be customized to suit whatever your taste buds are in the mood for. I no longer miss my Nature’s Path granola. This is so much better, and it costs less too! 🙂
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- ¼ cup toasted wheat germ (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Reese's peanut butter chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, rice cereal, wheat germ, cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, and espresso powder. Set aside.
- Place the canola oil, honey, peanut butter, and maple syrup in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mixture begins to bubble. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Pour the mixture over the oat mixture and stir until combined. Spread out onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring after every 5 minutes, until golden. When the granola is finished baking, move it over a bit until it only covers ¾ of the baking sheet lengthwise, and press it down into one even layer. Cool on a wire rack. Once cool, break into pieces and mix in the peanut butter chips and dried cranberries. Store in an air tight container at room temperature. Enjoy!
Adapted from Cookie Monster Cooking