Easy Italian Salsa Verde Shrimp
Easy Italian Salsa Verde Shrimp is juicy, succulent shrimp smothered in a bright, flavorful Italian Salsa Verde. It’s great as an appetizer or served with rice, pasta or quinoa!
I know New Englanders are 6 feet under in snow, which is almost unfathomable to me, because we here in sunny CA have been having a huge taste of spring. It’s almost ridiculous, really. The trees are in full bloom, and there’s a heavy aroma of pollen in air.
I ought to know, because my hay fever is pretty problematic, and it’s ramping up already. It’s crazy what a drastic difference there is in the weather across the country, but I think I’ll take my early hay fever, drought, and sunshine over all that snow. This girl couldn’t handle that for a minute.
I guess what I’m getting at is that I want to apologize in advance to all of those buried in snow for the bright, cheery, spring-like dishes that I’m serving up. I promise I’m not trying to say “in your face!” because we have great weather…I just can’t help it.
And maybe…just maybe…these spring-like dishes might be just the thing to cheer you up if you live in these conditions? 😉
The thing of the matter is, this Italian salsa verde will perk up the old palate regardless of whether it’s cold or hot in your neck of the woods. This sauce is fresh from the parsley, bright from the lemon, with a little briny pop from the capers.
It’s perfect atop fish, chicken, steak, and yeah…shrimp.
Did I mention that you just might want to pull up a straw and drink it, too?
I mean, just look at that.
If you love pestos, Mexican salsa verde, or chimichurri sauce, you’re guaranteed to love this stuff. 🙂
Picking the leaves off of the parsley is the only semi-tedious part of this dish, the rest is beyond easy. Whirring everything in a food processor takes under 5 minutes. Cooking the shrimp takes 5 minutes. By all rights, this could be done in less than 30 minutes, depending on whether your shrimp is frozen or not. Just be sure that your shrimp is peeled and deveined, because it’s such a huge time saver. We all need to make our lives easier sometimes, and cleaning shrimp can be a huge time suck.
This dish is wonderful as-is for a fresh, light appetizer, or serve with crusty bread, or over pasta, rice, or quinoa for a main dish. Simple doesn’t get much tastier, and these lively flavors are going to make you happy whether you’re in the midst of an early spring or dealing with the next snow storm. And that’s a promise. 🙂
More shrimp recipes you’ll love:
Sriracha Shrimp by Inspiration Kitchen
For the salsa verde:
- 1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley, washed thoroughly, leaves picked off (2 1/2 cups loosely packed, leaves only)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- zest of a whole lemon
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 teaspoons agave syrup*
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the shrimp:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed
- salt and pepper, to taste
Prepare the salsa verde:
- Place the parsley leaves, capers, garlic, lemon zest, juice, and 1 teaspoon agave syrup in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber scraper as needed. With the machine on low speed, add the olive oil through the feed tube and continue processing until the the salsa verde is fairly smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste and process, and taste. Adjust the seasoning as needed, and add the other teaspoon of agave to balance out the flavors if necessary, and process again. Set aside.
Prepare the shrimp:
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp and season
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and toss with the desired amount of salsa verde. Serve and enjoy!
- If you make this a main dish, get your rice, pasta or quinoa on while you make the salsa verde and you'll still have a 30 minute meal!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 907mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 18g
Nutrition information is mean to be an estimate only. The numbers will vary based on the quantity consumed, brands used and substitutions that are made.