Funfetti Sugar Sandwich Cookies
Funfetti Sugar Sandwich Cookies are soft, chewy sugar cookies with funfetti sprinkles throughout, and vanilla icing sandwiched between. This is an easy, fun way to enjoy your sugar cookies!
Do you have time to make sugar cookie dough, roll it out, and decorate the cookies elaborately for the holidays? Neither do I! Normally I make my Sugar Cookie Cutouts every year, but this year, I’m way too strapped for time. These Funfetti Sugar Sandwich cookies are the easy way to enjoy them…or give them to others as gifts. Who can resist all of those festive sprinkles in those soft, chewy cookies, with icing sandwiched between them? Not this girl. 🙂
Sugar cookies are always on my holiday baking list. I have many friends that I bake them for, because they’re a holiday favorite. They just scream Christmas, don’t they?
I tinkered with my Sugar Cookie Cutout recipe a bit this year. I’ve read about (and tried previously) adding cream of tartar to cookie dough to make cookies softer and puffier (think snickerdoodles!). These definitely turned out nice and soft, while staying chewy as well. I made them on the small side as I was making them into sandwich cookies, so I’ll venture a guess that if they were made larger, they might be quite puffy. Sounds like a good reason to make them again so I can experiment further. 😉
I went with a very basic icing here — just powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. You could use your favorite icing and pipe or spread a nice, thick layer there. Sounds like another experiment I need to try! More icing could be a messy situation, but honestly, there are worse things in life. 🙂
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup funfetti sprinkles
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the mixer speed to medium, and mix in the egg and vanilla until incorporated. Add in the dry ingredients, and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not over mix as the cookies will be tough. Stir in the funfetti sprinkles until incorporated. Form the dough into a log about 1½" tall by 2" wide, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes, overnight, or freeze until you're ready to use it.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice the cookies about ¼" thick and place on the prepared baking sheets about 1" apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are just lightly golden. Cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for about 5 minutes, then remove from the baking sheet and cool completely on the wire rack.
- When the cookies have cooled, place the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Add the milk and vanilla, and stir until smooth. Place the desired amount of icing on the bottom of a cookie, and top with the bottom of another cookie. The icing may ooze out if you use a lot, but there are worse things! Place on waxed paper to set, and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.