It’s officially gingerbread season, so it’s time to pull out the ginger, cloves, and molasses and make these spicy gingerbread waffles. I know nothing gets me more in the Christmas spirit than the spicy flavor of gingerbread. It can be in any form for me — gingerbread men, gingersnap cookies, or warm gingerbread with lemon curd and whipped cream. I decided that gingerbread can be for breakfast too, so I made these waffles. Top with whipped cream, pure maple syrup, or even lemon curd, and you’re guaranteed to get yourself — and your taste buds — in the holiday spirit.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1¼ cup low fat buttermilk
- Preheat waffle iron. Combine all purpose flour, whole wheat white flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a large bowl with a whisk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk brown sugar and eggs until combined. Whisk in molasses, butter, and buttermilk until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until incorporated.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Add batter to waffle iron and cook according to the waffle iron instructions. Makes 8 Belgian waffles.