Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Stacks
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Stacks is tender grilled eggplant layered with fresh mozzarella, marinara sauce and basil. It’s healthy eggplant parmesan!
Let’s just say the batch of the Homemade Marinara Sauce that I made a few weeks ago has been getting a good workout lately. I slathered in on some pizza one day, and these Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Stacks were next. T
he other half of the batch is tucked away in the freezer for another round in the very near future. Whenever I need to throw a quick meal together, this sauce has my back. 🙂
Eggplant parmesan stacks
Are you a fan of eggplant? I never knew I liked it until several years ago, mainly because I’d never had it cooked properly. If it’s not cooked properly, eggplant is one of the most disgusting things ever.
This grilled eggplant is tender and succulent with a velvety mouthfeel. Just the way eggplant should be!
The smoky flavor from the grill makes it even more inviting. 🙂
If you’re already an eggplant fanatic, you’ve probably experienced classic eggplant parmesan. If you’re Italian, you probably grew up eating your grandmother’s or your mother’s recipe handed down from generation to generation. Si?
My version of eggplant parmesan definitely isn’t your grandmother’s recipe — it’s a lightened up, much quicker recipe. There’s no frying involved in this grilled eggplant parmesan recipe, which I love.
Simply grill the eggplant with olive oil until tender. If you prefer to bake your eggplant, see my instructions for these Roasted Eggplant Sandwiches.
And don’t be afraid to drizzle some balsamic glaze over these babies.
If you have the marinara sauce made already, you’ll have this meal complete in less than 30 minutes. If you don’t, it’ll be 30 minutes and some change, which is still a really quick meal.
You can always use store bought marinara to make this meal go even more quickly.
This may not be your grandmother’s eggplant parmesan recipe, but it’s got all the elements to give you those warm, cozy feelings that her version may have given you.
It doesn’t get better than tender, velvety eggplant layered with fresh mozzarella cheese, basil, and homemade marinara sauce. This is comfort food at it’s finest, and you’ll love it even more because you’ll be able to enjoy it faster than ever.
So heat up your grill and get your eggplant on!
Additional eggplant recipes:
Eggplant Rollatini by Cookie Monster Cooking
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/2" rounds (about 10-12 slices)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups homemade marinara sauce
- 5-6 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese*
- 5-6 large fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
- balsamic glaze and chopped basil for serving, if desired.
- Preheat the grill to medium for the eggplant, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees to bake the eggplant stacks.
- Brush the eggplant slices top and bottom generously with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until tender and grill marks form. If the eggplant seems dry, brush with a little more olive oil. Flip the eggplant, and repeat on the other side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place half of the eggplant slices on a foil lined baking sheet and top with some marinara. Place a slice of fresh mozzarella over the marinara, then place a basil leaf over the cheese. Top with another slice of eggplant, followed by more marinara sauce, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the oven and place on a serving platter, and garnish with freshly chopped basil, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
- The marinara may be made in advance to make this a true 30 minute meal, or use your favorite store bought sauce.
- The eggplant may also be grilled in advance and stored in the refrigerator until you're ready to assemble the stacks.
- If you prefer to roast the eggplant in the oven, see my recipe for Roasted Eggplant Sandwiches.
- Grated mozzarella cheese may be substituted for the fresh mozzarella.
Serving Size:1 eggplant stack
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 713mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 10g