Grilled Flatbread Pizza with Arugula Pistachio Pesto, Nectarine, and Prosciutto
Grilled Flatbread Pizza with Arugula Pistachio Pesto, Nectarine, and Prosciutto is a quick and easy meal that’s healthy, fresh, and is a sweet and savory lover’s dream!
I think you know by now that I’m crazy in love with my grill? And ever since I made my Grilled Veggie Flatbread Pizza with Pesto, grilled flatbreads have been happening a lot this summer. What I love about them is that they’re not only quick — 30 minutes or less! — you don’t have much dish washing to do and you can use up whatever you have laying around. The way I see it, that’s a huge win in every dinner-making category. 🙂
I can’t seem to make a pizza without pesto these days — pesto pizzas are just my thing. And when the pesto is made with arugula and pistachios? My, oh my. I had such a pesto in a restaurant in Boston last year and vowed to recreate it. It may’ve taken a year to do it, but I knew I’d get around to it.
The good things in life are never forgotten, and that pesto was one of them. 🙂
What better toppings for the peppery arugula pistachio pesto than fontina cheese, juicy nectarine, and salty prosciutto? Oh, and more arugula, which might seem like arugula-overkill to you, but it’s really not. Not just because I think there’s no such a thing as too much arugula, but because the fresh arugula adds texture and even more freshness. The more the merrier!
The pesto is the most time consuming part of this pizza, being whipped up in 5-10 minutes. Assembling the pizza might take you another 5-10, and it’s grilled in mere minutes. The bottom crust is so crispy, if you’ve never had grilled flatbread, you’ll be hooked. This is one fresh, delicious meal on the table in under 30 minutes, and you won’t hear any complaints. For me, this is a dream dinner. 🙂
For the arugula pistachio pesto:
- 4 cups arugula, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons toasted pistachios (I used pre-toasted, unshelled)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- salt, to taste
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the flatbread pizzas:
- (4) naan flatbreads
- 1-2 tablespoons arugula pistachio pesto
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 4 slices prosciutto, torn into pieces
- 1 medium nectarine, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed arugula
Prepare the pesto:
- Place the arugula, pistachios, lemon juice, garlic, and salt to taste in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped and combined. With the machine running, add the olive oil through the feed tube and process until the pesto reaches the desired consistency. Taste and add more salt if necessary and process until combined. Set aside.
Prepare the flatbread pizzas:
- Preheat the grill to medium. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the pesto sauce over the flatbread, then top with the cheese, prosciutto, and nectarine. Grill for 3-5 minutes or until the crust of the flatbread is crispy and the cheese has melted. Remove from heat and top with fresh arugula. Slice, serve immediately, and enjoy!
- Pesto sauce can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- I prefer my pesto with less oil. If you prefer a thinner pesto, add 1-2 more tablespoons of oil.
- To toast your own pistachios, place on a rimmed baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until fragrant.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 603Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 1472mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information is mean to be an estimate only. The numbers will vary based on the quantity consumed, brands used and substitutions that are made.