Grilled Pesto Chicken Kebabs
Grilled Pesto Chicken Kebabs are pesto marinated chunks of chicken skewered with vegetables and grilled to perfection. It’s an easy, delicious summer meal!
I’m obsessed with pesto sauce. I love that it’s so versatile and can be used a million different ways.
I finally got around to using it as a marinade for these Grilled Pesto Chicken Kebabs, and they were a huge hit!
Pesto sauce always bails me out of a dinner rut, and this time was even more amazing because it was the marinade and the sauce.
This meal will go really quickly if you’ve got your pesto sauce made in advance like I mentioned. It also pays to make a double batch so you can freeze one for future pesto emergencies.
I like to use my Spinach Pesto most of the time, and I substitute the spinach for fresh basil, arugula, or whatever types of greens that I’ve got on hand. See my post on How to Make Pesto for more flavor variations.
If you’re strapped for time, just use your favorite store bought variety.
I always add a bit of lemon juice to my pesto, and I decided that I should add even more to the pesto marinade to give it that 1-2 citrus punch that always livens things up. It is summer, after all, so let’s get lively!
I cubed my chicken and marinated it in the pesto sauce for 2 hours and it was plenty flavorful. If you have your ducks in a row and marinate it for longer — say 4 hours or even overnight — it’ll be even better.
I chose to skewer the chicken with some sweet cherry tomatoes and zucchini slices, but you can also use red onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, or any other type of veggies that grill up quickly. There’s no need to go to the store…customize these skewers using whatever you’ve got!
I served these kebabs with orzo pasta and plenty more pesto sauce, and it was perfect. These Grilled Lemon Pesto Chicken Kebabs were a meal my kids were happy about eating too. Eating off of sticks is always more fun, isn’t it? 🙂
More grilled chicken recipes:
Beer can chicken by Food Network
Grilled Pesto Chicken Kebabs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1" cubes and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce plus more for serving
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 medium zucchini cut into 1/2″ thick rounds
- 18 cherry tomatoes
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper and place in a large zip top bag or bowl. Combine the pesto sauce with the lemon juice and pour over the chicken, tossing until evenly coated. Marinate a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Once preheated, brush the grates with oil.
- Skewer the chicken, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes on large metal or wooden skewers (I used metal). Grill for 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. Drizzle with extra pesto sauce, serve, and enjoy!
- You can also use your favorite store bought pesto as a time saver!
- I marinated the chicken for 2 hours and it was very flavorful, but the longer you marinate it, the better it will be.
- This meal is great served with orzo pasta!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.