Healthier Chocolate Strawberry Banana Muffins
Healthier Chocolate Strawberry Banana Muffins are moist and chocolatey, and are packed with fresh fruit and Greek yogurt for a delicious, healthy breakfast or snack!
I told you that I had Valentine’s Day on my mind, and that I’ve also been wanted to keep things healthy. These muffins hit all the marks — they’re on the healthy side, indulgent, and are sure to get you in the Valentine’s Day spirit. 🙂 These muffins are adapted from my Healthier Strawberry Banana Muffin recipe, which were the fourth most popular post of 2013. Healthy muffins don’t have to taste like cardboard, and these sure don’t.
So how do you get a healthy muffin to taste good? Moisture, for one. The bananas, strawberries, and Greek yogurt add plenty of moisture here. These muffins are already sounding like a great breakfast with fruit and Greek yogurt. 😉 I always add some whole wheat flour to my muffins, but this time I added less as I was determined to choc-lify these muffins since Valentine’s day is coming and all. Yes, I said choc-li-fy. It’s my new word when I add chocolate, and I added plenty of Hershey’s unsweetened dark cocoa powder to these muffins. Boy, did that dark cocoa powder ever amp up the chocolate flavor. These muffins taste like chocolate covered strawberries and bananas, and that certainly is a good thing. 🙂
In a nutshell, these muffins are the best way to get some chocolate into your diet in a healthier way. There aren’t too many ways that you can eat chocolate for breakfast without feeling bad, so these muffins will help in that department. What a way to start the day. 😉
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's dark)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 large)
- ½ cup vanilla Greek yogurt (I used Chobani 0% vanilla)
- ¼ cup non-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, stemmed and chopped in to small chunks
- ¼ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two standard size muffin tins with 16 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar, canola oil, egg, and egg yolk together until foamy, about 1 minute. Whisk in the banana, Greek yogurt, milk, and vanilla until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. Fold in the fresh strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin liners ⅔ full of batter. Bake the muffins on the middle rack of the oven for 15-17 minutes, or until the tops spring back when gently pressed, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy!