Healthier Zucchini Apple Bread
Healthier Zucchini Apple Bread is whole grain and low in fat, with grated zucchini and green apple to make it plenty moist. The bread is spiced up with ground cinnamon, and it’s got crunchy, toasted walnuts on top. It’s a must for a healthy breakfast, snack, or even an afternoon treat.
The consensus that I’m getting from most people is that gardens are bursting at the seams with zucchini and it’s hard to use it all up. Is that true? I don’t have a garden, but I’ve certainly bought my fair share of zucchini like I do all the time. Somehow, I’m on a zucchini rampage of late, from zucchini chips to oatmeal zucchini snack bars, and I’m grilling it like there’s no tomorrow. Then there’s this bread. 😀
Before I left for my trip to Boston, I made this bread to leave behind as a parting gift for my boys and the family they stayed with. It smelled of spicy cinnamon, apples, and toasty walnuts so much that I felt warm inside and out. OK, it was a hot day, but the smell of this bread as it baked gave me such a homey, cozy feeling that I almost didn’t want to leave town. Almost. 😉 I hated to give it all away, and thank goodness I was under a time crunch which caused me to bake the bread in mini loaves so that it would bake up faster. Mini loaves meant that I could slice up one loaf and give away three. I had to pat myself on the back for having my back.
I shared the one loaf that I sliced up with the kids and my husband for taste testing purposes, and it passed the test with a resounding “YUM”! It’s healthier, but not healthy tasting, meaning it doesn’t taste like cardboard. It’s plenty moist with lots of cinnamon flavor. I just loved the toasted walnuts on top for that nutty crunch. This bread is a perfect way to use up some more of that zucchini. You better get grating. 🙂
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cup grated zucchini
- ⅔ cup grated Granny Smith apple (peeled and cored prior to grating), about 1½ small apples
- ⅓ cup walnut pieces (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease (4) cavities of a mini loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the oil and eggs until well incorporated. Stir in the grated zucchini and apple until combined. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until incorporated, careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into each of the (4) cavities, making sure that there is the same amount of batter in each one. Sprinkle the top of the batter with the walnut pieces, if using. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the loaves from the pan and cool completely. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Ellie Krieger's Zucchini-Walnut Bread from her cookbook Comfort Food Fix.