Honey Pineapple Barbecue Chicken Sandwich
Honey Pineapple Barbecue Chicken Sandwich is grilled chicken smothered in a homemade sweet ‘n smoky honey pineapple barbecue sauce with juicy, grilled pineapple and red onion. This is a 30 minute meal that’s perfect for summer!
How’s June treating you so far? It’s starting fine for me, except for the fact that it doesn’t feel like June. May was a whirlwind full of the usual end-of-the-school-year flurry of events, along with my son’s upcoming 8th grade graduation tomorrow. YES..tomorrow! And I just got back from Reno for my other son’s 4-day basketball tournament, which was a lot of fun.
Last month I also got to go to the Everything Food Conference in Salt Lake City, which was my first food conference ever. I learned so much, and the best part was that I also got to meet so many wonderful bloggers, including some of my 30 Minute Thursday crew, who happened to be even more amazing in person. 🙂
Today happens to be 30 Minute Thursday, so you get access to a whole slew of 30 minute meals (see their links at the bottom of this post). I knew I wanted to give you a grilling recipe being that it’s June, so here’s a Honey Pineapple Barbecue Chicken Sandwich for you.
This sandwich is finger-licking good with homemade, sticky honey pineapple barbecue sauce. This sauce has no refined sugar….it’s sweetened completely with honey and some fresh pineapple juice that I’d muddled from some fresh pineapple chunks. It’s also got some smokiness and a hint of spice to round things out.
I tried to use as few different ingredients in the sauce as possible, and ended up with 9. I know that sounds like a lot, but if you use too few, it just ends up tasting more like ketchup than anything else. The ingredients I used all add some dimension to the sauce, and I didn’t use anything fancy — you probably have everything in your pantry already. I highly recommend making the sauce ahead and keeping it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it as it gets nice and thick as it cools. And you always have the option to use your favorite store bought barbecue sauce if you’re pressed for time.
To keep up with this pineapple theme, I grilled some up and added a slab to my sandwich. That smoky, sweet flavor was perfect atop that juicy barbecue-sauce-smothered chicken breast. A little lettuce and a slice of red onion is all you need to build this sandwich, and definitely serving it with a little more barbecue sauce won’t hurt, either.
I used King’s Hawaiian buns for this sandwich because they work so well with the pineapple theme! If you’ve got time on your hands and you want to make your own, try these Honey Whole Wheat Burger Buns.
This Honey Pineapple Barbecue Chicken Sandwich is a summer inspired 30 minute meal that will make everyone happy. And can you imagine how happy Dad would be if you made him these for Father’s Day? This is sweet, smoky, 30-minute grilling perfection. 🙂
Below are more 30-Minute Meals from my amazing blogging friends. Click the links below and check them out!
Basil Pesto Pasta with Broccoli and Mushrooms from Pumpkin ‘n Spice
Crispy Salmon with Greek Orzo from Bake.Eat.Repeat.
Blackened Grilled Salmon with ‘Kickin Corn Pico de Gallo from Whole and Heavenly Oven
Avocado Toast with Spicy Marinated Chickpeas and Zucchini from Floating Kitchen
Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet from Kristine’s Kitchen
Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Caesar Salad from Life Made Sweeter
Sweet Potato Noodles with Black Beans & Avocado Sauce from Sweet Peas & Saffron
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 fresh pineapple slices, ½" thick with core removed from the center
- 4 slices red onion
- (4) buns (I used King's Hawaiian)
- 1 cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup honey*
- 3 tablespoons fresh pineapple juice*
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard (may substitute with 1 teaspoon prepared mustard)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium and brush the grates with canola oil.
- Place the chicken breasts in a zip top bag and pound to ½" thickness with a mallet or rolling pin. Remove from the bag and season generously with salt and pepper.
- While the grill preheats, prepare the barbecue sauce. Place the ketchup, honey, pineapple juice, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to taste in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool (the sauce will thicken as it cools).
- Once the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grill and cook 5-7 minutes per side, or until a thermometer registers at 165 degrees. Brush both sides of the chicken with barbecue sauce during the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Remove from heat and tent with foil.
- Place the pineapple on the grill and cook 3-4 minutes per side or until softened and charred. Remove from heat. Turn off the grill and place the buns on the grill to toast slightly, 1-2 minutes.
- If the chicken breasts are on the large side, cut in half. Place some lettuce on the bottom of the bun and top with the chicken breast. Place a slice of red onion and grilled pineapple on top, and spread more barbecue sauce on the top bun if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
*I muddled some fresh pineapple chunks for my pineapple juice, but you can also use store bought juice.
The sauce may be made in advance, cooled, and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. In a pinch, you can always use your favorite store bought barbecue sauce.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.