Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad is clean eating at its best! This vegan salad is crunchy, addictive, and tossed in a refreshing lemon vinaigrette!
December has been eventful already…my oldest son turned 16 years old! I can’t help but wonder how this happened so fast. It’s like he jumped from taking his first steps to driving with nothing in between.
Luckily my husband handled teaching our son to drive because that whole thing stresses me out. I did take my son out once after my husband taught him the basics and I was so nervous.
He’s doing great, but I’ve just got to find a way to relax with my 16 year old at the wheel.
I’m open to suggestions 🙂
All that aside, I created this Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette about a month ago when I was craving something fresh, clean and crunchy. It’s completely plant-based and loaded with nutrient rich superfoods!
It also balances out all of my mad gingerbread and chocolate-peppermint cravings at the moment. 🙂
I love brussels sprouts every way possible, but eating them raw is my favorite way to enjoy them. When they’re thinly shaved, they’re crisp and crunchy like cabbage slaw but the cabbage flavor is much more mild.
I make variations of this shaved brussels sprout salad all fall/winter long!
I added chopped curly kale to this salad to give it even more heartiness and flavor. I love the deep bitter flavor of kale, especially when paired with sweet fruits like apples, grapes and oranges.
This Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette came together perfectly with sweet crisp Fuji apple, green onions, and crunchy hazelnuts.
Normally I love adding dried cranberries to salads like this for chewiness, but I had a pomegranate in the fridge and I knew they would be the perfect touch.
They’re like the crown jewels of autumn/winter and make this salad look even more inviting!
Toss this salad up with a lemony fresh vinaigrette and you’ve got one of the freshest, tastiest salads ever.
The fact that it’s easy on the eyes certainly doesn’t hurt either. 🙂
What I love most about this Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette is that it keeps very well. The shaved brussels sprouts and kale won’t get soggy on you, so you can make it (and dress it!) in advance.
It’s perfect for lunch during the week or as a side dish for entertaining. And doesn’t it scream holidays?
This salad is proof that clean eating isn’t boring.
It’s downright delicious.
More healthy recipes you’ll love:
Beet & Pomegranate Green Smoothie by JoyFoodSunshine
- 3 cups curly kale, chopped (about 1/2 bunch)
- 8 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and shaved thin
- 1 medium apple (I used fuji), diced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 green onion, both white and green parts, sliced thinly on the bias
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts*
- Place the kale, brussels sprouts, apple, pomegranate, and green onions in large bowl.
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a mason jar and cover with a lid. Shake vigorously until combined and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Pour the desired amount of dressing over the salad (you may not need it all) and toss to coat. Serve with the chopped hazelnuts and enjoy!
- This salad keeps very well and is great for lunches during the week. For best results, add the hazelnuts right before serving to keep them nice and crunchy.
- *I used Trader Joe's pre-toasted hazelnuts. They're a great timesaver!
- If pomegranates aren't in season, substitute with dried cranberries or cherries.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 72mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g