Key Lime Coconut Tea Bread
Key Lime Coconut Tea Bread is a dense yet moist quick bread packed with coconut and fresh key lime flavor. It’s topped with a tangy, sweet key lime juice – coconut milk glaze that will send your taste buds on a tropical vacation!
I saw key limes in the store, which can only mean one thing — they were going in the shopping cart. 🙂 It’s no secret around here that I love key lime. There’s my Key Lime Greek Yogurt Dip, Key Lime Coconut Smoothie, Key Lime Bars, and Key Lime Pie. I’m as crazy about key lime as I am coconut, which led me to pair up these two favorite ingredients into one delicious bread.
This tea bread isn’t your typical quick bread. It’s packed with a walloping 2 cups of coconut, so it’s almost like a quick-bread-meets-macaroon-cookie-bread. It’s dense, yet still moist, and nice and crumbly. It was lovely waking up to this with a cup of coffee. I know it’s called tea bread, but I’m all about my coffee in the morning. 🙂
The inspiration for this bread came from one that we made in cooking school on our breakfast breads workshop day, which was one of my favorite days. Muffins, coffee cake, scones, and a recipe that I was handed for lemon coconut tea bread. I loved it, but I thought it needed something, so I added a glaze. Batch #1 went over well here in my household, but not as well with me. It needed more pop, so I completely changed up the recipe adding more fresh key lime juice in the bread and glaze, and more coconut. The entire loaf was gone in less than 2 days, and I was happier with it, too. 🙂
The batter in this bread is very thick, so if you make it, don’t think you did something wrong.
Just spread it out in the loaf pan evenly and bake away. This is one simple recipe, taking about 10 minutes to get into the oven. You will have to wait around 50-60 minutes for it to bake, then you’ll have to cool it before you can add the glaze, but it’s totally worth the wait. Of course you can opt not to use the glaze, but I don’t recommend that at all, and would go so far as saying the glaze might be the best part. Powdered sugar, coconut milk, and fresh key lime juice? Pure heaven on this already heavenly bread. 🙂
- 10 ounces all purpose flour (about 2¼ cups)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut (I used "Let's Do…Organic" brand)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- ¼ cup fresh key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon key lime zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons fresh key lime juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a standard loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and coconut until combined and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, coconut milk, butter, and key lime juice until incorporated. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir together with a rubber scraper just until combined. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake on the center rack of the oven 50-60 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and continue to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk the powdered sugar, key lime juice, and coconut milk until the glaze is as smooth as possible. Place the bread on the wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Pour the glaze over the bread and let stand until it's set. Enjoy!
Total time above includes cooling time and time for the glaze to set.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.