Lemon Burst Cookies
Lemon Burst Cookies are soft, chewy and bursting with fresh lemon flavor. They taste like cake mix cookies but they’re made completely from scratch!
There’s something about lemons that can just perk you right up. The sunny yellow color and fresh flavor simply brighten any day.
That’s probably why I love using fresh lemon juice and zest so much!
These Lemon Burst Cookies are appropriately titled, because they’re bursting with lemon flavor. They’re crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside, just the way I like my cookies.
The powdered sugar exterior adds a sweetness to the tangy lemon flavor that just makes it pop. It truly doesn’t get any better!
I took these cookies to a party this past weekend, and they were a huge hit.
Many lemon cookie recipes are made from a cake mix, but I prefer to make my recipes completely from scratch. Cake mixes are full of preservatives, and it really doesn’t take much longer to measure out a few ingredients.
What I love about these lemon cookies is that they have the texture of cake mix cookies, but they’re homemade. The recipe is incredibly easy, and the end result is impressive.
Time to get baking. 🙂
Lemon Burst Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar for rolling
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla, and beat just until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl, and beat on low speed just until combined. Do not over beat. The dough will be sticky, so chill it for about 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, form the dough into a ball as much as possible, and roll it in the powdered sugar, covering it completely.
- Place the balls of dough on the cookie sheets spacing them 2" inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time on the middle rack of the oven for 12-14 minutes, or until the middle is completely set. Cool on a wire rack. Cookies can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature.
- Recipe adapted from Crunchy Creamy Sweet.
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.