Mixed Berry Balsamic Mason Jar Salad
Mixed Berry Balsamic Mason Jar Salad is packed with chicken, mixed berries, feta cheese, arugula, and a mixed berry balsamic vinaigrette. It’s the perfect portable salad!
My oldest son graduated 8th grade last Friday, and my youngest son finishes up with school today, so summer has officially begun! I’m excited because things were really hectic for a while, and now I get to bask in the glory of all things summer.
I’m not saying I’ll be doing tons of relaxing with the kids home (it will be quite the opposite), but it’ll be summer vacation all the same. 🙂
I’m posting another salad recipe for you because this mason jar salad is the only recipe that I had ready to post today. Being that it’s summer, that means it’s perfectly acceptable to post a bazillion salad recipes and nobody will mind, right?
Especially when it’s layer upon pretty layer in an adorable mason jar.
Yeeesss….this Mixed Berry Balsamic Mason Jar Salad is full of pretty layers. Let’s break it down from bottom to top, shall we?
Our base is a mixed berry balsamic vinaigrette, which I made in my blender by pureeing strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries with plenty of balsamic vinegar and the usual suspects in a vinaigrette.
It’s so good you’ll eat it by the spoonful, and I know from experience.
I tossed some leftover chicken breast into that dressing, and piled more mixed berries on top of that, followed by some crumbled feta cheese. From there, fresh arugula goes in, and our salad is complete.
Just place the top on and refrigerate until you’re ready to eat, and you’ve got the perfect salad that hasn’t gone soggy on you. The bonus is that the chicken will be very flavorful from sitting in that vinaigrette, too. 🙂
Berries and balsamic happen to be one of my favorite combinations, and if you haven’t tried it before, I hope you do. The tangy balsamic really compliments those sweet, juicy berries and makes this salad something special.
The feta adds a nice salty element, and the peppery arugula is a perfect match for our sweet summer berries. This salad hits all the flavor notes we need!
This Mixed Berry Balsamic Mason Jar Salad is perfect for lunches, picnics, or any time you need a salad on the go. Just bring a fork, mix that salad on up, and enjoy. And you’ll have plenty of dressing leftover for more salads.
That’s if you don’t eat it by the spoonful, naturally.
More summer salads you’ll love:
BBQ chicken salad from a Mind “Full” Mom
For the dressing:
- 1 cup mixed berries (I used equal parts blackberries, blueberries, and chopped strawberries)*
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- (1) large mason jar
- 2-3 tablespoons dressing
- 1/2 cup cubed leftover chicken
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
- 2-3 tablespoons feta cheese
- 1/3 cup arugula
Prepare the dressing:
- Place the berries, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper, to taste in a blender or food processor and process until fairly smooth. With the machine running, add the olive oil through the feed tube and process until the dressing reaches the desired consistency. Taste and add the desired amount of salt and pepper. Set aside.
Layer the salad:
- Place the dressing in the bottom of the mason jar followed by the chicken, mixed berries, feta cheese, and arugula. Place the lid on and store in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Mix the salad with a fork, and enjoy!
*Any berry combination will do, so use your favorites!
If you want your dressing really smooth, run it through a fine mesh strainer. You'll have plenty of dressing for multiple salads. Dressing will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
The amounts of the ingredients will vary depending on the size of the mason jar.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.