No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bars
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bars are gluten-free, vegan, and dairy-free bars made from 5 simple ingredients, perfect for breakfast, snacks, or post-workout. They’re so delicious, you’d never know they’re healthy!
Lately I’ve been on a huge chocolate bender that started with the Homemade Nutella that I made recently. The Nutella has been finding it’s way into my oatmeal on occasion (best thing EVER), and even the peanut butter-banana English muffins that I have for lunch. At least I don’t only eat it by the spoonful anymore. 😉 Despite the Nutella, I’ve still been craving chocolate. This is the kind of chocolate craving that, if I were to give in to it fully, my face may break out like a teenager. I had to do something drastic, and it wasn’t bake a pan of brownies. These No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bars? Yeah — when it comes to chocolate cravings, these really satisfy. 🙂
These bars aren’t to be compared to a pan of brownies, of course, because these are healthy! They’re made primarily of 5 ingredients — peanut butter, oats, honey, unsweetened dark cocoa powder, and some coconut oil. I added a bit of espresso powder to enhance the chocolate flavor, as if dark cocoa powder wasn’t enough. 🙂 I also pressed in a couple of dark chocolate chips, too, but that’s completely optional. I told you I’ve been on a bender.
As for the peanut butter, I actually had 2 cups of roasted unsalted peanuts so I made my own peanut butter and used it here. Any type of peanut butter would work, however, and I honestly think chunky peanut butter would be great. I can’t wait to try these with almond butter. 🙂
These bars are dairy-free and vegan, and if you use gluten-free oats, they’ll be gluten-free as well. They come together in minutes, but make sure you give the bars plenty of time to set in the fridge because they need a good hour and a half to two hours. As they come to room temp, they soften and become gooey, so just plan to keep them cold. I love these post-workout, and I ate one for breakfast today before my workout. They also served me well when my sweet tooth kicked in just for a dessert after dinner. It doesn’t matter when you eat them, just be sure and whip some up so that you can enjoy them any time you need a little energy boost or whenever the irresistible chocolate craving strikes. Either way, these bars have got your back. 😉
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ½ cup honey
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- dark chocolate chips to press into the top of bars (optional)
- Line an 8x8" pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the peanut butter, honey, cocoa powder, coconut oil, espresso powder (if using), and salt in a small sauce pan over medium low heat until melted and smooth.
- Place the oats in a medium bowl. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the oats and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Press the chocolate chips into the top of the bars if using, and refrigerate for a minimum of 1½ hours or until firm.
- Remove the bars from the pan and cut into 12 bars. Store in between parchment paper in an airtight container in the fridge. Bars will become soft and gooey at room temperature, and are best when they're cold. Enjoy!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.