No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Marshmallow Bars are as fun as they are delicious. They’re loaded with graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, and fluffy marshmallows, with Reese’s peanut butter and chocolate chips. These are great for Game Day or any day you want to whip up an irresistible no bake treat!
Years ago when I had my paying job, I went to work for the first time with a blow out. Not a flat tire, my curly hair was blown straight. 🙂 It was the first time I was able to walk to my building from the train with the wind blowing freely through my hair, with no concern about frizz or tangles. SO nice. Everyone was looking at me like I was somebody else, and I honestly felt like somebody else! A co-worker came up to me and said that I looked different. I asked how so? I was told that I looked “more sophisticated”. Hmmm. I thought about that, and it made sense. Curls are unpolished, and more laid back and fun. Maybe that’s why Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Aniston blow their hair out all the time, because Hollywood A-listers need to look polished and sophisticated? This down home girl is the complete opposite of that. 🙂
You’re probably wondering how this story relates to these No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Marshmallow Bars, right? I really shouldn’t relate a hair story to food as they should be no where near each other, but here I am doing it anyway. These bars are unsophisticated and unpolished, just like my curls. They’re laid back because they’re no bake, and they’re unsophisticated because marshmallows are as unpolished as it gets, but they make up for it with FUN. See, these bars really do relate to my story. 🙂
I need to give you a bit of background on these bars now. My mother used to make these every Christmas time in cookie form, and they were called marshmallow drops. They were my ultimate favorite, and I always looked forward to the holidays when she would make them. I changed the recipe up a lot by adding peanut butter, Reese’s chips, chocolate chips, and less butter and sugar, but they still taste like those cookies I loved.
Yes, these bars are unsophisticated, but put a plate full of them in front of a bunch of adults, and they’ll devour them. There’s a playful side to all of us, and we all remember eating things like this when we were young(er). Here’s to being carefree, fun, and eating unpolished treats. 🙂
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1½ cups mini marshmallows, plus more for the top
- ⅓ cup semi sweet chocolate chips, plus more for the top
- ⅓ cup Reese's peanut butter chips, plus more for the top
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add the sugar to the butter and stir until dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Whisk ¼ of the butter-sugar mixture to the beaten eggs little by little until completely incorporated. This will temper the eggs to keep them from scrambling. Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the butter-sugar mixture in the saucepan, and place it on the stove top over medium heat once again. Whisk until the mixture is thickened and bubbly, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until incorporated. Set aside the mixture to cool for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, pour the butter-sugar mixture into a large bowl. Add the graham cracker crumbs and stir to combine, followed by the marshmallows, then the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. Press the mixture evenly into a parchment lined 8x8 square baking dish and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the pan and cut into squares. Enjoy!