Oven Baked Turkey Black Bean Tacos
Oven Baked Turkey Black Bean Tacos are easy, healthy baked tacos filled with ground turkey and black beans. They’re ready in under 30 minutes!
We’re finally in the throes of spring and I got my summer garden planted earlier than I ever have. I have to thank my friend Joy from Joyous Spaces for that, because she invited me along on her trek to Morningsun Herb Farm to grab her plants. Maybe you saw it on my Instagram stories?
The herb garden was bursting with beautiful plants and flowers and I felt like a kid in a candy store. There were so many varieties of tomato plants that my head was spinning! I left with (6) tomato plants and Joy gave me 2 more, so I planted a total of (8).
Needless to say I’ll have plenty of tomatoes come June. 🙂
I also planted a variety of peppers including red and yellow bells, shishito and jalapeno, along with cucumbers and an array of herbs. I’m so excited for summer!
I’m also excited about these Oven Baked Turkey Black Bean Tacos, which are perfect for Cinco de Mayo. This is the easiest Mexican meal to put together and it’s guaranteed to be a hit with the kids!
And adults. 🙂
Oven Baked Turkey Black Bean Tacos
I’ve been making these crispy oven baked tacos for a very long time, and I finally got around to photographing them so that I could share them here with you.
My family loves tacos, and I used to heat everything separately and assemble them one by one after that, which was a bit chaotic.
Those days are gone, because these oven baked turkey tacos are the only way to go!
How to Make Oven Baked Tacos
Making oven baked tacos couldn’t be easier. You start with lining crispy corn taco shells in a baking dish. You can buy any variety of crispy taco shells that you desire, and the ones with the flat bottoms make things even easier because they stand upright so well.
Next, fill each taco shell with a layer of black beans. I used a batch of the black refried beans from my Easy Instant Pot Black Beans recipe. My recipe doesn’t require soaking the beans and they’re done in about 30 minutes total. You can make them in advance to make this meal go even quicker, or you can use canned refried black beans.
Next, top the beans with a layer of ground turkey taco meat, which is seasoned perfectly with my Homemade Taco Seasoning. I use about 2 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of meat for maximum flavor.
The refried beans act as the “glue” to hold the taco meat in place which I love.
From there, top the ground turkey with your choice of grated cheese and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
While the tacos bake in the oven, prep your toppings!
This is the fun part. You can go classic with lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and cilantro like I have here, or top them with your favorite salsa, guacamole, olives or even sour cream.
How fun would a taco bar be for Cinco de Mayo or Taco Tuesday?
Serve your Oven Baked Turkey Black Bean Tacos with an array of toppings so that people can choose whatever they like.
Include lime wedges for a nice citrusy pop of freshness, and taco night is complete. 🙂
Easy Taco Tuesday sides:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 12 crispy corn taco shells
- (1) 15 ounce can black refried beans or a double batch of my homemade black refried bean recipe
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese (cheddar jack or mexican blend)
- 2 cups chopped lettuce such as romaine or ice berg
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro, optional
- lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Arrange the taco shells standing upright in a 9x13" baking dish and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet or saute pan. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and taco seasoning and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the ground turkey, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and break the turkey up into small chunks with a wooden spoon. Add the water and stir until the turkey is well coated with the seasoning mixture. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through stirring often.
- Spoon 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of black beans in the bottom of each taco shell and spread across the bottom. Divide the ground turkey between each of the taco shells and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tacos are heated through.
- Assemble the tacos and enjoy!
- The toppings listed are optional. Feel free to top with your favorite toppings such as salsa, guacamole, olives, sour cream.
- This meal is easily scaled to feed a crowd!