Pearl Barley Salad with Chickpeas, Feta, and Lemon
Pearl Barley Salad with Chickpeas, Feta, and Lemon is an easy barley salad recipe with chickpeas, feta cheese and lemon!
This barley salad reflects exactly how I’ve been eating lately…whole grains with lots of veggies and plenty of flavor.
I feel that I’ve been holding out on you because I made this healthy barley salad months ago, and I’m just now sharing it with you.
I love this salad so much because it’s very hearty, yet fresh and light at the same time. It’s got plenty of wholesome, nutritious ingredients, too, with a nice Mediterranean vibe.
This pearl barley salad was inspired by one from Cooking Light magazine, only I simplified it tremendously. Cooking Light’s version had a very complex dressing, and I knew I would love it tossed with just lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Sometimes simple just tastes best, especially with all of the freshness going here. This way, the flavors in this salad just shine through.
If you’d like to use a homemade dressing for this recipe, my greek salad dressing would be perfect.
Barley gives this salad it’s heartiness, and it’s loaded with fiber and nutrients that help you feel full.
I really enjoy pearl barley because it’s got a chewy texture and nutty flavor, and it also happens to be heart-healthy.
How to make barley salad
This salad is very simple to make and only requires a few ingredients.
It takes pearl barley 45 minutes or less, then it’s tossed with the other ingredients and some olive oil.
This is one of the best barley salad recipes because it’s great as a side dish served with grilled meats, or perfect served as a vegetarian meal.
I love this pearl barley salad for lunch, and can easily eat it every single day until it’s gone.
Which means it will probably happen again next week. 🙂
Hungry for more salads? See these:
Try these hearty grain salad recipes:
- 1 cup pearl barley, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 pound fresh green beans, washed, trimmed, and cut into 2" pieces
- (1) 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounce container crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- While the barley is cooking, place the green beans in a large pot of boiling water and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until crisp tender, about 3 minutes. Drain well.
- Add the green beans, chickpeas, feta, dill, lemon juice, and the olive oil with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir gently to combine, adding more olive oil if the salad seems dry.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- This salad is wonderful as leftovers, but you will need to add more olive oil as the barley absorbs the oil as it sits.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 284mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is mean to be an estimate only. The numbers will vary based on the quantity consumed, brands used and substitutions that are made.