Pearl Barley Salad with Chickpeas, Feta, and Lemon
Pearl Barley Salad with Chickpeas, Feta, and Lemon is a simple, hearty salad packed with fresh lemony flavor. It’s perfect for lunch and makes a great dinner side!
This post reflects exactly how I’ve been eating lately…whole grains with lots of veggies and plenty of flavor. I’ve been holding this Pearl Barley Salad with Chickpeas, Feta, and Lemon out on you, and for that I’m truly sorry. I made it months ago…MONTHS ago! Before all the holiday hoopla happened. I even photographed it once to post it, but the photos weren’t good enough. I hope these photos do it half the justice it deserves, because I love this salad.
You may want to know exactly what’s so special about this salad, so I’ll try and explain it to you. It manages to be hearty, yet fresh and light at the same time. It’s got plenty of feel-good nutritious ingredients, too, with a nice Mediterranean vibe.
This salad was inspired by one from Cooking Light magazine, only I simplified it tremendously. Just because I say it’s simple doesn’t mean it tastes simple either. We wouldn’t want to confuse those two would we? Cooking Light’s version had a very complex dressing, and I knew I would love it tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Sometimes simple just tastes best, especially with all of the freshness going here. This way, the flavors in this salad just shine through.
Barley gives this salad it’s heartiness, and it’s loaded with fiber and nutrients that help you feel full. It’s chewy, nutty, and heart-healthy, so it’s a win. It cooks up in about 45 minutes or less, then it’s tossed with the other ingredients and some olive oil. So easy, and so good!
This Pearl Barley Salad with Chickpeas, Feta, and Lemon is perfect as a side dish with grilled meats, or as a vegetarian meal. I love this for lunch, and can easily eat it every single day until it’s gone.
In fact, before the holidays I made this at least 3 times in 3 weeks and my husband thought I was crazy. He liked it, but he draws the line at eating any one thing that much. Obviously I don’t.
Which means it will probably happen again next week and the week after that. 🙂
- 1 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 pound fresh green beans, washed, trimmed, and cut into 2" pieces
- (1) 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounce container crumbled feta
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- juice of 2 lemons
- ⅓ - ½ cup extra virgin olive oil*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare the pearl barley according to package instructions. When finished cooking, place in large bowl.
- While the barley is cooking, place the green beans in a large pot of boiling water and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until crisp tender, about 3 minutes. Drain well.
- Add the green beans, chickpeas, feta, dill, lemon juice, and ⅓ cup of the oil with salt and pepper to taste, and stir gently to combine. If the salad seems dry, add a bit more oil and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Serve warm and enjoy!
I like this salad very lemony with plenty of dill! If you don't like a huge citrus pop and lots of fresh herbs, start with half the amounts listed and add more to taste.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.