Roasted Golden Beet and Citrus Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette
I think most people either love beets or hate them. I happen to love them, whether they’re grated up in salad or roasted. Golden beets are definitely my favorite. It isn’t because they don’t dye your fingers and intestines red….that is always a bonus. 😉 I just love they’re subtle, sweet flavor. I began roasting them last year with brussels sprouts, or for salads, and I’m just addicted to them. This Roasted Golden Beet and Citrus Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette is one of my favorite ways to enjoy them. The beets are complimented by orange segments, sweet and spicy pecans, feta cheese, avocado, and a delicious and easy white balsamic vinaigrette. Fresh and simple, this is a great salad to perk up your summer. 🙂
If you’re skeptical about beets, please hear me out. Red beets are a bit more mainstream, but the truth is, they’re much more pungent in flavor then their golden counterparts. If you don’t like red beets, that doesn’t mean that you won’t like the golden variety, especially roasted. They’re so sunny and sweet, and they add such a wonderful flavor to this salad. 😀
Normally, I roast the beets ahead of time and store them in the fridge until I’m ready to use them. To roast them, you simple trim the tops, wrap them in foil, and place on a rimmed baking sheet in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. They take some time, but they’re so worth it!
To me, golden beets, orange, and avocado are a match made in heaven. I always love a salty creaminess to just about every salad, so I added feta cheese. Goat cheese or ricotta salata would work great as well. The sweet and spicy pecans add a wonderful crunch and pizzazz. This salad has all the elements that I love! 🙂
Of course you can use store bought dressing, but I highly recommend making the white balsamic vinaigrette. The dressing completely made this salad come together in the most perfect way possible. That’s what dressing is supposed to do, and this one delivered. It’s light and refreshing, and the white balsamic perks up the ingredients just perfectly. Beet lover or not, I hope you give this salad a try. I think it will change your mind about beets forever. 😉
- (1) bunch golden beets, tops trimmed
- 4 cups baby spinach (or one small bag)
- 1 medium, ripe avocado, pitted and cut into chunks
- ½ a medium orange, peeled and sliced width-wise into ¼" slices and cut into small triangles
- ½ cup store bought sweet and spicy pecans, coarsely chopped (such as Trader Joe's brand)
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese (goat cheese or ricotta salata work well also)
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wrap the trimmed beets in aluminum foil and place on a small rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes to an hour, or until fork tender. Cool completely and peel. Coarsely chop one medium beet for the salad and reserve the rest for another use (or more salad!).
- Place the spinach, beets, avocado, orange, feta, and pecans in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, and dijon. Whisking constantly, drizzle the olive oil into the vinegar mixture in a slow, steady stream. Add salt and pepper to taste, and whisk again. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss gently. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.