Shaved Asparagus Ricotta Flatbread
Shaved Asparagus Ricotta Flatbread is whole grain flatbread topped with pesto sauce, creamy ricotta cheese, and shaved asparagus!
I bombarded you with strawberries last week and now I’m back with more asparagus! I’ll probably have about 25 more asparagus recipes for you before the season is over, so bear with me.
This recipe is different, however, because we’re dealing with gorgeous ribbons of shaved asparagus.
This shaved asparagus ricotta flatbread takes pizza to a whole new level, and it’s bursting with fresh, spring flavor.
Those ribbons are almost too pretty to eat!
Shaved asparagus ricotta flatbread
Yes, those ribbons of shaved asparagus are pretty, but really, I had no problem eating them. They’re delicious raw, which I know because I was eating them as I shaved them. They’re also amazing cooked ever so slightly on this flatbread.
Now, there’s no going back, and if you try it you’ll understand. The shaved asparagus ribbons are crisp and delicate, and are amazing with the other flavors that are going on in this flatbread.
The foundation of this flatbread is set with a generous slathering of my favorite Spinach Walnut Pesto recipe, which I make often and freeze for easy pizza making. I have this thing for veggie pesto pizzas, see, so it’s necessary to have it around at all times.
The pesto is topped with creamy ricotta that has a big pop of lemon flavor from lemon juice and zest. That lemon flavor brings out the most in our asparagus and pesto. Lemon flavor for me is a true day brightener. 🙂
From there, we top the ricotta with our shaved asparagus, and grill or bake at high heat according to the naan package instructions for 3-4 minutes. Once the flatbread comes out of the oven, I like to drizzle a little olive oil over the top and shave some fresh parmesan right over the top.
This Shaved Asparagus Ricotta Flatbread is an easy meatless Monday meal with bright, fresh flavors that just taste like spring.
Why I waited so long to shave asparagus, I have no idea, but I’ll definitely be making up for lost time. 🙂
More asparagus recipes you’ll love:
Asparagus tart by Food Network
- (2) whole wheat naan flatbread (I used Stonefire brand)
- 4 tablespoons spinach walnut pesto sauce
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8-10 stalks of asparagus, shaved with a vegetable peeler (you may have some leftover)
- Shaved parmesan and extra virgin olive oil, for serving
- Preheat the oven or grill as instructed on naan package instructions.
- Top each naan with 2 tablespoons of the pesto, 1/4 cup of ricotta, and top with shaved asparagus.
- Bake or grill for 3-4 minutes or until the naan is crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven and drizzle with a bit of olive oil and shaved parmesan, if desired. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- If pressed for time, use store bought pesto!
- Pesto may be made in advance and stored in the fridge for 2-3 days in an air tight container. It also freezes well!
Serving Size:1/2 flatbread
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 933mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 19g
Nutrition information is mean to be an estimate only. The numbers will vary based on the quantity consumed, brands used and substitutions that are made.