Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
Call me strange, but I’ve loved vegetables forever. Even as a kid. If my brother and sister didn’t want their share at dinner, I’d eat theirs too. Fresh vegetables to me are a luxury, probably because we ate a lot of canned vegetables growing up. I probably enjoy fresh veggies as much or more as I enjoy my desserts. Now you must really think I’m strange. 😉 Brussels sprouts are up at the top of my list of favorite veggies. I love them roasted, sauteed, or steamed. Now I also enjoy them raw. They have a very mild cabbage flavor, and a little bit of a radish-like kick. This Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad is brussels sprouts cut as thinly as possible, tossed with bacon, hard boiled eggs, and green onions, in a lemony vinaigrette. For good measure, I top it with toasted almonds. This salad is fresh, crunchy, salty, and citrus-y. It’s everything you want in a salad. 🙂
Are you a brussels sprouts hater? Don’t be! I know brussels sprouts have a bad rap because most people have only had them steamed. When steamed, they have a much stronger cabbage flavor. These little gems are SO tasty raw and shaved. The first time I ever tasted a raw brussels sprouts salad was at Michael Chiarello’s Napa restaurant, Bottega. I was in love with it, and I’ve literally had dreams about it since I ate it. This salad is my spin on Bottega’s. I think I did it justice, as I really liked it. Bear in mind that I’m in no way saying that my salad is better. I mean, really….we’re talking about Michael Chiarello, for goodness sake. 😉
I didn’t use any fancy gadgets like a mandolin to shave my brussels sprouts because I don’t own one…yet. I used a very sharp knife and did my best to shave them as thinly as possible. I halved the brussels sprouts and placed them flat side down on the cutting board and shaved away. It took about 10-15 minutes. You can also buy them pre-shaved. Pretty nice time saver, isn’t it? I don’t mind chopping. It works out my aggressions. 😉
Next time you’re craving something fresh, crunchy, and different, you’ve got to try this salad. It’s perfect for spring and summer, and is the perfect accompaniment for whatever you’re serving. This salad will please even the biggest brussels sprouts skeptics. Who can resist a salad with bacon and eggs in it? Certainly not me! 🙂
- 12 ounces bagged, ready to use brussels sprouts, halved and shaved as thinly as possible (I used Mann's)
- 1 large green onion, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled bacon (about 1-2 slices depending on thickness)
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- toasted almonds, for serving
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the shaved brussels sprouts, green onion, bacon crumbles, and chopped egg in a medium serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, honey, dijon, and vinegar. While whisking vigorously, add the canola oil in a slow, steady stream until incorporated. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve!
Total cook time above includes cooking the hard boiled egg and bacon.
Change this salad up by adding golden raisins and/or shaved parmesan!
Inspired by Michael Chiarello's Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad at Bottega restaurant. Recipe by Flavor the Moments.