Skillet Zucchini Cornbread Recipe
Skillet Zucchini Cornbread is tender, fluffy, and packed with zucchini and fresh corn. It’s a healthier take on cornbread that’s every bit as delicious!
I love myself some cornbread, any way you slice it. Serve it to me as a muffin, a big, warm square, or a large wedge — just please serve it to me.
I took matters into my own hands and served myself a moist, fluffy wedge of this Skillet Zucchini Cornbread, complete with a crispy, golden brown crust. That’s what you get when you add zucchini to your cornbread batter, and bake it in a skillet.
It’s pure magic. 🙂
Last year one of my favorite recipes was my Butternut Squash Cornbread Muffins. The butternut squash puree gave the cornbread such moist, tender crumb, it was hard to believe it was healthy.
They’re a favorite in my house, and who can resist the color?
While I can eat butternut squash year round, I try to focus more on what’s seasonal. Being that it’s the middle of summer right now, that means my focus is on summer squash and zucchini.
I’ve received a ton of zucchini from a friend’s garden, which means I’m going to find lots of different ways to use it. I had a hankering for cornbread and plenty of zucchini, so zucchini cornbread had to happen.
And you know what? This cornbread recipe is every bit as good as my butternut squash muffins. I love the green flecks throughout the bread, and I added some fresh corn, too, because I love the texture that corn kernels add to cornbread.
The zucchini also added plenty of moisture, making this cornbread tender and fluffy. I know the photos show it with a pat of butter, which was the way I devoured my first wedge, but every piece since, I’ve eaten it warm with a drizzle of honey.
It’s great any way you slice it, and it will be one of your favorite summer dishes!
More cornbread recipes you’ll love:
Jalapeño cheddar cornbread by House of Yumm
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup + 1/2 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons honey*
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a skillet with the 1/2 tablespoon canola oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg lightly. Add the buttermilk, canola oil, and honey, and whisk until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together until just incorporated. Stir in the zucchini and corn, careful not to over mix, and pour into the prepared skillet.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slice, serve, and enjoy!
- You may substitute the honey with your favorite sweetener.
- Zucchini cornbread may also be baked in a greased 8x8" square baking dish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 374mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g