Baked Chocolate Donuts
Strawberry Covered Baked Chocolate Donuts are fluffy baked chocolate donuts with fresh strawberries and chocolate ganache!
It’s my birthday eve tonight! Normally I like to bake myself a birthday cake, but this year I didn’t because my sister has it covered. I was having a very hard time trying to narrow down what to make anyway! I love so many cakes — german chocolate, carrot, coconut, chocolate mocha, and on and on.
Since I was relieved of the difficult decision, I decided to make something today that I could wake up to tomorrow. These Strawberry Covered Baked Chocolate Donuts fit the bill as the perfect, fun birthday breakfast!
Don’t think I didn’t try one today. 🙂
I have to explain that I’m not a big donut person. I used to eat them when I was much younger when I worked in my father’s construction office. Sales reps would bring in piping hot, fresh baked donuts about twice a week, and I would ALWAYS partake.
I always remember feeling disgusting after eating them…probably because I always had two? Once I started working elsewhere, I never touched donuts again. My poor kids never get them unless there’s a birthday at school….until now.
These baked chocolate donuts are like my favorite cake donuts! I’m not going to tell you that they’re healthy, but they’re much better than those fried donuts. 🙂
For these baked chocolate donuts, I did a little spin on chocolate covered strawberries. I adapted this recipe from this recipe, and made a chunky strawberry glaze with chocolate ganache drizzle. So heavenly!
Not only are these donuts delicious, but they take 10 minutes to put together and 10 minutes to bake. If that’s not ridiculously easy, I don’t know what is!
Suffice it to say, I’ll be making many more varieties of baked donuts. They’re delicious, fun, and easy! What more could anyone ask for? Oh yeah, like I said…they’re better for you. These donuts have it all.
Happy birthday to me! 🙂
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk (I used non-fat)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries, stemmed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
Prepare the donuts:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray (2) 6-cavity donut pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, espresso powder, and salt. Beat in the milk, eggs, vanilla, and butter with a hand held mixer on medium low speed until just incorporated. Place the batter in a zip top bag and snip off a corner. Pipe the batter into each donut cavity until it's 2/3 full. There should be enough to fill all 12. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Cool slightly on a wire rack, then remove the donuts from the pans and continue to cool. Place a baking sheet lined with parchment paper under the cooling rack.
Prepare the Glaze:
- Place the strawberries in a small bowl. Mash the berries just a bit with a fork to release more juices. Add the powdered sugar and stir until combined. The glaze will not be thick. If you'd like it thicker, add more powdered sugar. Immediately spoon the glaze over the donuts. Let the donuts set at room temperature.
Prepare the Ganache:
- Place the heavy cream and chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water on the stove top. The water in the pan should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir the chocolate and cream together until the chocolate has melted completely. Remove from heat and let stand a bit at room temperature to cool and thicken slightly. Drizzle the ganache over the donuts and let stand until the chocolate is set.
- Instead of using chocolate ganache, you can simply melt chocolate chips in your microwave to save time.
- Donut recipe adapted from Shugary Sweets.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 252mg Carbohydrates: 50g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 30g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g